Why is my Easter Egger not laying anymore?

Marshaharrell

Chirping
Apr 4, 2018
Rougemont NC
I have a pair of Easter Eggers that are around a year old, Amanda and Victoria. They started laying at about 20 weeks and were good layers(5-6/week) until about 9 weeks ago. We got some new chickens about this time. Neither of them laid for 6 weeks. Finally, Victoria started laying again(their eggs are different colors green), but still no eggs from Amanda. We have looked all over the chicken yard and can't find a hidden nest. Missing my olive eggs! Any ideas of how we can get her laying again?

Yes, but there really didn't seem to be much drama. Amanda's always been in the middle as far as pecking order. I guess I didn't know they could just turn egg laying off, lol.

Yes, but there really didn't seem to be much drama. Amanda's always been in the middle as far as pecking order. I guess I didn't know they could just turn egg laying off, lol.
It doesn't have to look like drama to be a stressor for them and production interruption is often the first sign that they have been or are stressed

A hen needs to feel safe in order to lay. It's still an instinct.

Older birds can bring in diseases that your current birds aren't immune to, so they may also be stressed that way.

In general Easter eggers aren't consistent layers. Mine lay well their first year than it became more sporadic with them taking more breaks.

A hen needs to feel safe in order to lay. It's still an instinct.

Older birds can bring in diseases that your current birds aren't immune to, so they may also be stressed that way.

In general Easter eggers aren't consistent layers. Mine lay well their first year than it became more sporadic with them taking more breaks.

We did have one hen that brought in what we think is mycoplasma, but the hens in this yard didn't seem to get it. We had two in the other yard that are just getting over the symptoms after a week of antibiotics.

I guess they may have been more stressed by the new girls than I could see. It's funny though-- the new girls started laying right away. I have a feeling they were not used to being spoiled. All the hens and pullets in this yard choose to go in one coop with the dominant rooster. Our other rooster has a coop to himself, lol.

We did have one hen that brought in what we think is mycoplasma, but the hens in this yard didn't seem to get it. We had two in the other yard that are just getting over the symptoms after a week of antibiotics.
They can carry the disease without showing symptoms..... if one had it, they probably all do now.

We have looked all over the chicken yard and can't find a hidden nest.
How big is your chicken yard?
If she is laying, you may need to confine them to coop and run to reset the habit of laying on coop nests.
Here how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom