Why is my hen crowing?

sandmbaker

Songster
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Illinois
My one and a half year old maran hen is crowing its about ten something every morning and she starts up with her loud " bock bock bock bugock" over and over and over for five minutes or more everyday! I live inn town and i am afraid someone is going to complain. at first I thought she was doing it after she layed an egg but its not. When I hear it I go out immediately and throw some type of snack in for her to shut her up. Why is she doing this? how can I get her to stop

Sometimes hens will chose to lead the flock and take the place of a roo. They become more masculine and often crow.

she does it like she is trying to alert everyone of something. and she is my most broody hen. the others will cluck and bock but she just bolts it out I can hear it in the house over the tv. and its the same repeated tune every time she does it over and over and over

she does it like she is trying to alert everyone of something. and she is my most broody hen. the others will cluck and bock but she just bolts it out I can hear it in the house over the tv. and its the same repeated tune every time she does it over and over and over
Is she just saying "look what I made" after laying an egg. I know my neighbors girl are almost as loud as his roo. My pullets aren't laying yet but I expect they will do the same.

I wonder if I put something in there to keep her occupied she wouldnt do it as much. I thought about hanging a head of lettuce so they can all jump at it. but knowing henrietta she will still stand and yell

If it is not made after laying an egg, that sound in our family means danger nearby -- like a cat or hawk staring from a distance, mine do it to alert us us of nearby deer too.
I give them something to keep them busy too -- look up into the sky or trees, she may see something you don't see.

Back
Top Bottom