Would you add Death Layer chickens to your flock?

Chipmunk Chicks

Free Ranging
May 24, 2022
New Jersey, USA
Edited to update:

I'm hoping to hear about others' experience with the German Death Layer breed of chicken, which lays steadily all the way through to old age. I have read that they would prefer to roost in trees, so I'm not sure if they would just live outside the coop at night, if you had a total free range situation? Or somehow a big enough enclosure with trees inside it? A shy chicken sounds like one thing, but one that will prefer not to roost in the coop with the rest of the flock sounds like it might be a tricky situation to manage.

Any thoughts or input on the breed or ones with similar temperament / behaviour much appreciated!

---Original Question Below---

So thanks to this wonderful thread I was perusing,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/oh-craigslist-you-amuse-me-so.436863/

I thought, "Oh yeah, let me just check Craigslist for... whatever. Punch in 'chicken.' See what comes up." (There's a vintage nesting box I have my eye on that someone wants way too much money for, IMHO, that I keep checking on... Anywho.)

I found a local ad for Deathlayer chicks for sale. [Or possibly hatching eggs.] The picture looks like the silver ones, and the price is high but maybe not Absolutely insane. I am just wondering if there is anything I should know about these chickens? I am new to keeping chickens, and I have tended to gravitate towards more docile, easily handled breeds, but I'm wondering if trying out this chicken might be worth it? Or would I just be in over my head? I don't see too much information about them here on BYC. Thanks!

Last edited:
No. But I personally will never purchase chicks from anyone other than hatcheries ever again. The 1 time I did I ended up with MG carriers who then spread it to my entire flock.
Oh no! That sounds like a worst nightmare.

I was thinking about that, too. It's not exactly a good time to start mixing flocks. My entire flock are just chickies still brooding in my diningroom here, so somehow I'd have to isolate them maybe even in a completely different part of the house like in the basement or something until the ones I already have are out in the coop, and practice like ueber 1000x biosecurity... Yikes. IDK how soon you would know if anything like that were going on... :/

Oh no! That sounds like a worst nightmare.

I was thinking about that, too. It's not exactly a good time to start mixing flocks. My entire flock are just chickies still brooding in my diningroom here, so somehow I'd have to isolate them maybe even in a completely different part of the house like in the basement or something until the ones I already have are out in the coop, and practice like ueber 1000x biosecurity... Yikes. IDK how soon you would know if anything like that were going on... :/
Possibly never. While my entire flock suffered the symptoms such as swollen face and gunk in the nose nd throat, the carrier chicks never showed any symptoms.

Possibly never. While my entire flock suffered the symptoms such as swollen face and gunk in the nose nd throat, the carrier chicks never showed any symptoms.
So what about the Death Layers as a breed, say if I could get hatching eggs or something instead? I'm sort of asking more about specific breed experience.

So what about the Death Layers as a breed, say if I could get hatching eggs or something instead? I'm sort of asking more about specific breed experience.
I personally have never owned the breed and probably never will as I wouldn't spend that much on chickens. They also dont lay enough to make it worth it to me. But again, some diseases are spread even through hatching eggs so I wouldn't buy any. I'm sure there are reputable breeders though, just need to research.

No. But I personally will never purchase chicks from anyone other than hatcheries ever again. The 1 time I did I ended up with MG carriers who then spread it to my entire flock.
You need to make sure whomever you purchase chicks from is npip certified. Hatcharies are fine for production chickens but if you want to show or breed. Buying from an NPIP certified breeder is the way to go. I would never buy Bantams from a hatchery EVER

I personally have never owned the breed and probably never will as I wouldn't spend that much on chickens. They also dont lay enough to make it worth it to me. But again, some diseases are spread even through hatching eggs so I wouldn't buy any. I'm sure there are reputable breeders though, just need to research.
To each their own. I'd be happy with a few birds laying 200/year continually, in fact my Welsummers supposedly will be laying less! (160) I wouldn't have a problem paying $100 for four chickens that will lay for the rest of their lives, as part of the rest of my flock. I do actually find that an attractive feature, less pressure to keep replenishing birds, or as I get older if I wanted to keep a smaller flock for my own personal needs. I'm also thinking of my MIL who lives alone. It could be nice for her to be set up with a little flock that would serve her for the next 6-10 years and not have to worry about constantly adding birds not to have supply drop off. I would think 15 eggs a week would be plenty for her needs!

You need to make sure whomever you purchase chicks from is npip certified. Hatcharies are fine for production chickens but if you want to show or breed. Buying from an NPIP certified breeder is the way to go. I would never buy Bantams from a hatchery EVER
I'm guessing there is a list of NPIP breeders online I could look through? This particular seller didn't reply when I asked if she had a website, no mention in the ad or the signature that I remember, either. :/

What happened with the hatchery bantams??

I'm guessing there is a list of NPIP breeders online I could look through? This particular seller didn't reply when I asked if she had a website, no mention in the ad or the signature that I remember, either. :/

Often hatcharies have poor breeding practices which is fine for normal pet quality and egg producers. But bantams are also more susceptible to birth defects when not bred properly. Before i started my line of D Uccles I had gotten one from a hatchery with club feet and some with cross beak. Now i have been breeding my own line for nearly 10 years and am proud to say i have sold many show winners in that time. Backyard breeding programs require time patience diligence and the ability to make the tough decisions on when to cull. But needless to say i have fabulous roosters and hens that you will never get from hatcharies. If your looking for simple eggs or pets go with a hatchery. If you are looking to breed or show look for certified breeders who care about thier birds and how they are raised. A good place to start is with breed clubs they usually have a list as well as the NPIP website

Back
Top Bottom