2 day old chick...keeps flipping over on its back

ebear82

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 23, 2009
I have a chick that hatched yesterday, and although it "looks" okay, it keeps rolling over onto its back. No matter how many times I roll it the right way, it always ends up on its back. It's alert and chirps and moves its legs around, but I don't know what to do. It's still in the incubator, because if I put it in the brooder box it won't be able to eat or drink. Any ideas?? Help!!
hu.gif

Put it in the brooder anyway, so that if it wants to it can get to food and water. I just had one do this too, and after a day or two, it was fine, I don't even know which one it was anymore. It turned out to be that his belly was too big, and once he finished absorbing all the yolk, and his belly went down, he could get around just fine. It is worrysome though, isn't it?? (I found out what was causing the problem by mentioning it to the breeder, and she told me what it was).

Okay, I did put it in the brooder box, and it is actually standing now...but it holds its head twisted around so its head is resting on its left wing...I've seen it move it the other direction, but it always keeps it like this when resting. Any thoughts?

I have a day old guinea keet that is doing the exact same thing. Worried he is brain damaged

Progress report on our baby.

He is now fit and healthy and not flipping.

What we did......

Periods of separation from other chicks
Mutivitamins in water
Hand feeding just to make sure he getting nutrients
Neck massaging

But he might have just been weak and needed more time than the others

How is your chick doing?

I hope that he will show some interest in food tomorrow so that he can keep his strength up especially if there is a chance he could grow out of it.

Progress report on our baby.

He is now fit and healthy and not flipping.

What we did......

Periods of separation from other chicks
Mutivitamins in water
Hand feeding just to make sure he getting nutrients
Neck massaging

But he might have just been weak and needed more time than the others

How is your chick doing?

Also I had a couple that needed to have their splayed legs taped and they are now running around beautifully - one day later. when should I take the strapping off. In other words how long does it take for their hips to set in the correct place without support?

You can take it off now if they're walking good. If you see them start splaying them again put it back on though

Back
Top Bottom