6-week Bantam Silkie - boy or girl?

Tassiegirl01

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 15, 2017
Hi everyone! We have a bantam silkie that looks a bit Roo-ish to me. Banana is 6 weeks old… thoughts?

IMG_7415.jpeg

Not the answers I was hoping for, but the answers I asked for! Thanks so much - any such thing as a "quiet" Bantam Cockerel? :hmm

Not the answers I was hoping for, but the answers I asked for! Thanks so much - any such thing as a "quiet" Bantam Cockerel? :hmm
Eh... probably not, I have one I'm assuming is a late blooming cockerel, 14 weeks and no crowing. If it stays quiet and is a boy, I'm thinking of marketing a new "City Silkie" variety 🤣

Eh... probably not, I have one I'm assuming is a late blooming cockerel, 14 weeks and no crowing. If it stays quiet and is a boy, I'm thinking of marketing a new "City Silkie" variety 🤣
hahahah well, one can hope! I have heard rumors that they can sometimes be very quiet but I have a highly alert neighbor who will be all over any crowing!

hahahah well, one can hope! I have heard rumors that they can sometimes be very quiet but I have a highly alert neighbor who will be all over any crowing!
I will hope for you that Banana is as quiet as a mouse so you can keep him! Sometimes neighbors can be swayed by sharing eggs, but I guess I can't really advise going against a law or ordinance. I live in a rural area, zoned for agriculture so thankfully can have all the noisy roosters I can stand 🤣

My Silkie boy - Herman the House Rooster - had a unique crow. Rather than being high-pitched and shrill, his voice was low and guttural, almost mournful. He was still moderately loud, but definitely not ear-piercing like a lot of bantam fellows (or their large-fowl counterparts.) He was quite tolerable indoors, and when he finally graduated to the outside run (only during the day, mind you - he was having NONE of this camping out stuff!) no one, not even the neighbors, ever minded.
Banana is a BEAUTIFUL young fellow!

My Silkie boy - Herman the House Rooster - had a unique crow. Rather than being high-pitched and shrill, his voice was low and guttural, almost mournful. He was still moderately loud, but definitely not ear-piercing like a lot of bantam fellows (or their large-fowl counterparts.) He was quite tolerable indoors, and when he finally graduated to the outside run (only during the day, mind you - he was having NONE of this camping out stuff!) no one, not even the neighbors, ever minded.
Banana is a BEAUTIFUL young fellow!
Thank you! I hope he keeps up his lovely nature and quiet demeanor so we can sneak him past ol' radar ears over the back fence haha

I will hope for you that Banana is as quiet as a mouse so you can keep him! Sometimes neighbors can be swayed by sharing eggs, but I guess I can't really advise going against a law or ordinance. I live in a rural area, zoned for agriculture so thankfully can have all the noisy roosters I can stand 🤣
Believe it or not, my paddock area was owned by a law professor at Lewis and CLark and he somehow managed to get it zoned Agricultural, so technically I CAN have roosters - I just want peace with the neighbors :)

Back
Top Bottom