6th Day of Corid - Blood?

Old Dixie Pines

Chirping
Jun 12, 2020
Northeast Florida
My four 16-month old hens (1 BO & 4BA) and six 6-week-old chicks are on their 6th day of Corid. I'm mixing 10 ml per gallon of water for the whole flock. I also gave my BO a liquid drench (.1ml per 1 lb), (per the excellent instructions provided by Kathy/Casportpony), because she was the only one showing signs (lethargic, not eating). She started eating again after the 3rd day of oral drenches and is obviously feeling better. I gave one of my BA her first oral drench a day after my BO received her first one, because she started acting the same way - but she is still not eating. She is a little more active, but still definitely not right. I found this poop (below) near to where she was standing, so I am assuming it is hers, but not positive. There appears to be blood in it. I'm noticing some watery poop like this (minus the blood), along with normal poops. We live in Northeast Florida, so it's quite hot here and I'm sure they're drinking a lot of water, so maybe that's it. This afternoon, another of my BA started segregating herself with the other unwell BA and she is no longer eating her feed either. I gave both of them an oral drench this evening. I have been changing the Corid out for a fresh mixture every day. I still have one BA that is showing no signs at all (and as I mentioned, the BO is doing a lot better); the chicks seem to be doing better, too - no more bloody poop and everyone is eating/drinking well. I just went back out and was able to get the two sick hens to eat some scrambled eggs, which is promising. I originally posted about this, when it first began, here (there are 2 more photos and gives some backstory. We've had the chicks for 2 weeks now): https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-coccidiosis-and-possible-eyp.1404134/#post-23046815.

I bought some Safeguard, thinking maybe they had worms, too, but haven't administered it yet because I don't want to overtax them with all the drugs. A vet is out of the question right now, unfortunately. Shouldn't they all be over this, with 6 days of treated water and some oral drenching? This is the first time we've had any illness whatsoever, since we got the first girls in June of 2019. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!
Chicken Poop 5421 Zoom.jpg

Looks like intestinal shedding, but I'd treat Everybody just in case.

Thank you for responding! I have been treating everyone for 6 days so far (1 more day to go at the full dose), as well as some oral drenches. I just thought everyone would be better by now. Two of my BA are still lethargic and not eating normally, so I'm worried that I may be missing something. I've never dealt with illness in my flock before.

Thank you for responding! I have been treating everyone for 6 days so far (1 more day to go at the full dose), as well as some oral drenches. I just thought everyone would be better by now. Two of my BA are still lethargic and not eating normally, so I'm worried that I may be missing something. I've never dealt with illness in my flock before.
Maybe it's a different strain that corid doesn't treat, possibly?

My thoughts were heading in that direction, too. There are no poultry vets near me that I can find, and I believe the other preferred drug (from reading BYC) now requires a prescription (Sulfadimethoxine, aka Di-Methox, Albon, Sulfamed G). I'm also wondering if they have enteritis from the cocci. If so, I will need antibiotics, from what I've read on BYC, which also require a prescription. I may try to contact the local dog/cat vet and see if they are willing to do a fecal float, however from what I've read, they may not be willing to prescribe anything for chickens. I'm at a loss as to what else I can do. Thank you for trying.

How far are you from Gainesville? Univ. of Florida Vet School may be able to help. When I lived in Florida I had to deal with them with my dog and they were great.

My thoughts were heading in that direction, too. There are no poultry vets near me that I can find, and I believe the other preferred drug (from reading BYC) now requires a prescription (Sulfadimethoxine, aka Di-Methox, Albon, Sulfamed G). I'm also wondering if they have enteritis from the cocci. If so, I will need antibiotics, from what I've read on BYC, which also require a prescription. I may try to contact the local dog/cat vet and see if they are willing to do a fecal float, however from what I've read, they may not be willing to prescribe anything for chickens. I'm at a loss as to what else I can do. Thank you for trying.
You can buy it on chewy.com.
It does require a prescription.

How far are you from Gainesville? Univ. of Florida Vet School may be able to help. When I lived in Florida I had to deal with them with my dog and they were great.
We live about 1-1/2 hours away, but we won't be able to do that - I am self-quarantined (I have severe asthma & am pushing 60) and my husband has to work during the day. They ARE great, though - they saved my dog about 10 years ago. Wonderful people. Thank you for the thought, though!

Back
Top Bottom