Age, sex and breed please

CarriesChicks2

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
Hi All. I own two hens which are doing well. My neighbor was by a chicken slaughter house and felt so bad that he bought one chicken. He rang my bell with this little one and I couldn't say no. Now it's living in my garage so please any info you guys can give me I will greatly appreciate. Thanks so much!!!
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

That's definitely a cornish cross, but I don't have experience with them to tell you age and sex for sure. You should know that these tend to die young of heart failure or develop leg issues once they get past about 10 weeks. They are bred to grow so fast for meat purposes that their bodies just can't keep up. You definitely should put this one on a diet to slow down growth and hopefully avoid or delay those problems.

Wow that's sad. I was actually thinking something like that because it keeps sitting down and my chicks that I got from a farm hardly ever did that. Thanks for the info though

I think these are typically slaughtered commercially at six weeks. So if this one was at the slaughter house, then it is probably six weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom