Aggressive young Brahma roos

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNChick2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 15, 2011
I have 6 roos of varying ages and breeds, all very sweet. I ordered 4 light brahma pullets from Cackle Hatchery and ended up with 2 roos, bringing my total roo count to 8. I say this because I have lots of experience with roosters. These guys have me stumped. When they hit their juvenile phase, they began to be peckish and I can't turn my back on them or they run at me. They are juvenile delinquents!! They are 5 months old and haven't developed spurs yet but they HURT when they peck bare skin and they aren't full grown! I have taken to just trying to herd them to where I want them and even then, I get pecked. One is also going after his own tail or anything else that presents movement. I am wondering if they are inbred since they came from a hatchery. I have NEVER had a rooster attack without cause and certainly have never had one chase his own tail!!! Please tell me it's a phase....

While I do know that for some breeds, it is a bit of a phase, however, some roosters never "grow out" of it. Personally, I might wait a few months until their hormones settle down, before deciding which to keep (if you plan on only keeping one or two, which would be best for your hens) However, if a cockerel were to outright flog me without provocation, he would have very few chances.

My brahma rooster from Cackle wasn't anything like this and showed no aggression at all but was very wary and always stayed several feet from me. If they show much more aggression you should cull. Never breed aggressive roosters, especially in a docile breed like brahmas.

While I do know that for some breeds, it is a bit of a phase, however, some roosters never "grow out" of it. Personally, I might wait a few months until their hormones settle down, before deciding which to keep (if you plan on only keeping one or two, which would be best for your hens) However, if a cockerel were to outright flog me without provocation, he would have very few chances.
Thanks for your advice. That's where my thought process was heading. Hopefully they will calm down. I think the less I try to "manage" them, the better we will all be. But the tail chasing.. guh!

My brahma rooster from Cackle wasn't anything like this and showed no aggression at all but was very wary and always stayed several feet from me. If they show much more aggression you should cull. Never breed aggressive roosters, especially in a docile breed like brahmas.
. Thanks for your advice and for sharing your experience. I won't breed them, regardless. My rooster to hen ratio is 8 to 14. I have a colony of roos that all coexist peacefully without hens. But these 2 are having to be put in separate pens, even from each other.

All my roosters are lovable because they know I won't put up with any nonsense.
You have to establish dominance.
Animals are good at sensing your fear.
The moment that they display any aggression towards you, you have to corner them, grab them by the legs, pick them up and hug them.
Do that and you'll soon achieve your proper place in the pecking order.

My retired farmer neighbor had a Jersey Giant roo that terrorized anyone who tried to go near their enclosure. I asked him if I could handle the bird. That bird would not let me get anywhere near it. He knew I wasn't afraid and that instantly changed his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom