any experience with vinyl coated fencing???

dgh

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 16, 2008
any experience with vinyl coated fencing???

I'm using cattle panels and would also like to use a 6 ft fencing , possibly vinyl coated wire. Does it last? Is it worth the price? Should I stick to a welded wire?

Its the only kind of wire I have ever used growing up. I currently use it for my chicken coop. I bought the 5' X 100' roll. I also used it for my dogs. You just want to stake it securely.

I live in the city so I don't have to worry about preditors or livestock knocking thru it. I like it better because I don't get cut up handling it and it doesnt rust.

maybe someoen else can add more....

e

Thank you,
I live in RI. How long does it last? Does the plastic coating break down in the frigid weather?

How would you attach it to 4x4 pressure treated posts?

I live in New York and its all I use also. I have put up the fencing around my run over 5 years ago and it is still going strong. Looks like new.

Yes, U staples or I have just used a staple gun, U staples would be better for sure.

I live in Maine...BBBBRRRrrrr! It holds up just fine!
wink.png

I like it also because it is stiff, but you can bend it if you want to go around corners and such. Its nice to work with, but not flimsy like other stuff and not so rigid you can't bend it like the heavy duty stuff.

Quote:
We're talking about vinyl coated mesh, right?

I used to sell fencing and I dearly loved people who bought vinyl coated fence. If you want a fence that stays looking nice over a long time - and you don't like the look of galvanized metal, then the vinyl coated stuff is good. It best in areas where looks are more important than utility.

It's been my experience, though, that if you have to ask if it’s worth the money - you probably don't really need to pay for it. For chicken fencing alone, it certainly is not needed. Welded cattle wire is fine, as is regular galvanized.

Last edited:
You are right, I don't strictly speaking need it. I like the way it looks and one of the sides faces my house and back yard . The other sides face pasture. I am putting 16x4 foot cattle panels behind it and I want to fence up to 6 ft high. My posts are 7 ft above ground. Fort Knox! Which is ,incidentally ,where my son is now.

I have used it for several years now. The original yards I fenced in I poultry stapled (the U type nail/staples) the entire thing to 1"x4" pressure treated 8' boards that had been cemented in the ground. They are now 7 years old and holding up fine.

The new yard I am fencing in also is being attached to the same pressure treated 8' boards but instead of using the poultry staples, I have screwed 1/2" x 4" painted boards to the front of the PT boards effectively sandwiching the fencing in between. With another set of hands, you can get the fence pretty tight. I'm working with 6' tall fence and laying 1' down on the ground to serve as an apron to deter digging in.

Eventually, I'll add lots of big rocks to the part that is in the woods and the part that is in my yard will be covered with 4 or so inches of dirt/loam and I'll grow new grass on it.

Back
Top Bottom