Any turkey breeds that CANNOT fly?

mrrr0809

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
We've free ranged our ducks for a few years but after seeing a dog come on our property that we didn't recognize, we've decided to fence them in. I also thought it would be wise to raise a few turkeys with them as well. The only fencing I'm doing will be a 4-5 foot horse/pasture fence, meaning even the slightest couple of successful wing flaps might get a turkey up and over the fence. Are any notorious for not being able to do so?

We've free ranged our ducks for a few years but after seeing a dog come on our property that we didn't recognize, we've decided to fence them in. I also thought it would be wise to raise a few turkeys with them as well. The only fencing I'm doing will be a 4-5 foot horse/pasture fence, meaning even the slightest couple of successful wing flaps might get a turkey up and over the fence. Are any notorious for not being able to do so?

With turkeys, the main thing is to make sure that you do not have a top rail. A top rail is an inviting place to perch and they most often get down on the wrong side of the fence.

When I have problems with heritage turkeys flying too often to undesired places, I clip the flight feathers of one wing. When the feathers grow back after the next molt it is like the turkeys forgot that they can fly.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I tried clipping wings on my young birds and it doesn't work, I tried one wing and both wings, the hens especially were impossible to keep from going over fences, top rail or not. Turkeys older than a year or two don't fly as much and only the hens, but those young ones are trouble, at least for me.

I tried clipping wings on my young birds and it doesn't work, I tried one wing and both wings, the hens especially were impossible to keep from going over fences, top rail or not. Turkeys older than a year or two don't fly as much and only the hens, but those young ones are trouble, at least for me.

Clipping both wings does not work. I know for a fact that properly clipping one wing prevents them from flying. Clipping flight feathers before they have their mature flight feathers is pointless. Nobody said anything about it stopping them from jumping over short fences.

Back
Top Bottom