Anyone have experience with Rugged Ranch walk-in pen?

Nat and Ana

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2018
Zone 5
Is it worth the money?
I am not a handy person nor is my husband so building a run is very intimidating. So I thought about purchasing the Rugged Ranch walk-in run. But wow on $600.
If you've had one is it worth the cost?

Can you maybe show a pic? because there are many versions of rugged ranch chicken coops and animal pens.

You could buy a chain link dog kennel new or used that would be cheaper & if you get one with 10 ft long by 6 foot high panels & just add fencing or netting on top & hardware cloth on the bottom sides it would probably still be cheaper, larger and can be added to. I don't add HW cloth to my kennel, but even the one you showed would have to have it added if you are inclined to make Fort Knox.

I don’t have one but this will help others to provide feedback. I think it will work for a chicken run. You may be able to build one for less with wood frame and hardware cloth but if like the convenience of this then it might be worth it to you. Another question is how many chickens do you have and will it be enough space? Ideally 10 sq ft per bird in the run. Good Luck!

I don’t have one but this will help others to provide feedback. I think it will work for a chicken run. You may be able to build one for less with wood frame and hardware cloth but if like the convenience of this then it might be worth it to you. Another question is how many chickens do you have and will it be enough space? Ideally 10 sq ft per bird in the run. Good Luck!

We have 4 hens. So this should be enough space even if we add a few more in the spring.

I think it looks pretty good, actually. But you will want to add a cover of some kind for shade and rain/snow. I would add hardware cloth up the sides at least halfway, and a welded wire or hardware cloth skirt. The number of chickens, once again, is exaggerated. If I did the math right, that's almost 49 sq ft, which give you 5 chickens max.

Back
Top Bottom