April 2024 hatch-a-long

Super happy with this hatch. 6 girls 4 boys (forgot to add the fourth boy in the pic)

The girls
20240506_215005.jpg 20240506_214623.jpg

The boys
20240506_214243.jpg

I'm not 100% on all of them, but now they are feathering I can seperate the lighter wheaten pullets from the darker cockerels, the pullets are also feathering in twice as fast so I can group the others with what I think they are.
These I have down as a pair, cockerel and pullet

Attachments

• 20240506_214102.jpg
    20240506_214102.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 4
I'm not 100% on all of them, but now they are feathering I can seperate the lighter wheaten pullets from the darker cockerels, the pullets are also feathering in twice as fast so I can group the others with what I think they are.
These I have down as a pair, cockerel and pullet
I heard based on their wing feathering you can tell if they're male or female. It's kinda like a 70% thing.

7 are inside under a brooder plate, 3 inside under a broody. With wing length it is hit or miss but I can sex the wheaten based off colour, then I use their siblings so compare. So I'm positive 4 are pullets and 2 are cockerels. The pair I posted show the difference in wheaten genders

So people told me I shouldn't mess with the egg but I couldn't help not to candle it. So I got a flashlight and just put it up against the air cell of the egg during the last days. So when I woke up this morning I finally had seen what I've been wanting to see. The chicken had finally broken into the air cell. I passed the egg an hour later and then I heard a little faint chirp. I had heard it in the middle of the night too. But I didn't think much of it. But I heard it again and again coming from my incubator. So I finally opened my incubator and put my ear against the egg and what I heard was a beautiful chirp. I then candled my egg and saw its mouth move. So now I can't wait to see the cute little silkie.

Back
Top Bottom