Are hibiscus flowers poisonous?

lovesfarms

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 6, 2016
Dauphin county, pa
My chicks love rose petals as much as worms and will try to pluck then out of each other's mouth. My rose bush is about empty so I decided to give them rose of Sharon flowers since hibiscus is used in tea I thought it would be fine. The first chick took a bite and the head chick gave a loud warning and they wouldn't eat them anymore! How on Earth does a hen know what is poisonous!??!! I read it's safe for humans but not for cats and dogs. But I couldn't find anything about chickens.

They are said to be edible and fine. Perhaps you chicken was expecting her usual rose petals, and was shocked by the new taste.

They are said to be edible and fine. Perhaps you chicken was expecting her usual rose petals, and was shocked by the new taste.
I can't understand why they go nuts over rose petals, I would have thought both rose and hibiscus would be flavorless. The roses are bright pink and the hibiscus are lavender. I don't know if it's the color... Maybe I should try tasting them! Except for now my roses are all eaten up!

They are quite edible, and if you search online you can even find recipes for them!
I was surprised to see cats and dogs shouldn't have them, for whatever reason that is so I thought maybe chickens shouldn't have them either. The bush is so full of flowers maybe I should try tasting them, looking up the recipes. It would be nice if the chickens like the. because I would have enough to treat them for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom