Are hoop coops/cattle panel coops hard to build?

Luna bean

Chirping
Feb 23, 2022
Southern Indiana
Are hoop coops/cattle panel coops hard to build? My hubby saw the hoop coop I would like to build from here (Permanent Hoop Coop Guide) and he thinks its to hard to build. He isnt good with wood working. I grew up wood working with my Dad, but it has been years since Ive done anything with wood. He wants to build a coop and run, please read above. Love the Man to death, but with the cost of lumber, you get my point. To me the hoop coop looks like straight cuts some 45* degree cuts and that pretty much it besides stapling, nailing/screwing the wood together and cattle panels with hardware cloth over the panels.

Welcome to BYC.

I know that article. Your husband is probably intimidated by the detailed materials list, etc. that makes it sound complicated compared to the articles that handwave over all the details and let you figure it out yourself by trial and error.

I haven't built one myself, but hoop coops are reputed to be the very easiest of all coops to build.

Screws. Staples are hammered in (1 1/2" typical). Yes. Hoop coops are the easiest to build. Essentially no cuts, or at least no complex cuts. Plenty of people don't reinforce the corners, or if they do, they do it with pieces of thick plywood, using factory edges and a corner to corner cut whose accuracy and straightness don't matter.

Thanks for the help.

Would this also work for frame work and then cover with hardware cloth? I wouldnt use the cover that it comes with. I would cover one little section with tin or maybe the truckers tarp.

Quictent Upgraded 20’x10’x7’ Portable Greenhouse 2 Zipper Mesh Doors 7 Crossbars Large Walk-in Galvanized Steel Heavy Duty Green Gardening Plant Hot Outdoor House +20 Stakes 4 Ropes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084KNW8VP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_0SK4V751W8Y20BZ7WMF9

Thanks for the help.

Would this also work for frame work and then cover with hardware cloth? I wouldnt use the cover that it comes with. I would cover one little section with tin or maybe the truckers tarp.

Quictent Upgraded 20’x10’x7’ Portable Greenhouse 2 Zipper Mesh Doors 7 Crossbars Large Walk-in Galvanized Steel Heavy Duty Green Gardening Plant Hot Outdoor House +20 Stakes 4 Ropes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084KNW8VP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_0SK4V751W8Y20BZ7WMF9
I'm completely unfamiliar with that product, and largely unfamiliar with your climate needs.

It does not appear to be the sort of construction that would hold up in high winds. Don't you get derecho there? (spelling?? is that the plural?)

Thanks for the help.

I think this would work with hardware cloth. I agree would have to anchor this carefully, not just with concrete bricks. I would use heavy duty ground anchors
Screenshot_20220415-175749_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the help.

While I can't say about that particular one, a lot of people on here who have tried to use greenhouse frames say that they lacked sufficient sturdiness. Someone had one collapse completely this winter right on top of the birds.

The dog pens *might* be a little better built.

How about chainlink dog kennel panels? You'd need support structure for a roof but it would certainly hold up to the weight of the hardware cloth (necessary to prevent raccoon reach-throughs and to keep rats and weasels from going right through the mesh).

My hoop run has withstood ever kind of wild weather Wyoming can throw at it. And it’s done it with with absolutely no repairs of any kind for 8 years. Because there is no framing, it flexes with the weather instead of being stiff and fighting it. We made one modification in all that time, and that was just to make it bigger. We took off the end piece, added two more steel posts and a cattle panel, then put the end back on. Done and done.

Hard to build? Not at all! Hubby and I were both well into our 60s when we built it, and we both have some disabilities. But we built it easily in a single weekend all by ourselves. For a good look at whatym we did and at our results, click on the “my coop” under my stunning avatar. The run build starts about halfway down the page. Warning: There are tons of photos and I do tend to get wordy explaining things!

Back
Top Bottom