At what age did your barred rock start laying??

Jsaller

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
My barred rock are about 22 weeks... I was hoping to have eggs by now. They are all large and healthy looking with red combs and wattles. When I Google it, it says 18-20 weeks. At what age did your barred rocks start laying, and any tips to get them going?

Here is a pic of some of them

Attachments

• 20210911_141948.jpg
    20210911_141948.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 88
My barred rocks started laying at 24-26 weeks. Not trying to state the obvious but just feed layer feed and offer oyster shells. I think they're late bloomers compared to other breeds.

Last edited:
My barred rocks started laying at 24-26 weeks. Not trying to state the obvious but just feed layer feed and offer oyster shells. I think they're late bloomers compared to other breeds.
Good to know! I actually switched them to layer feed, then read that you shouldn't until they lay so switched back to grower....

My BR layed around 23 weeks, I had already switched her to layer feed. She was my 2nd to start laying after my Leghorn, as I have some later breeds.

My barred rock are about 22 weeks... I was hoping to have eggs by now. They are all large and healthy looking with red combs and wattles. When I Google it, it says 18-20 weeks. At what age did your barred rocks start laying, and any tips to get them going?
Mine is just past 1 year old and is my only gal who hasn't laid yet! (she's my only barred rock) Everyone tells me she'll do it in her own time.

Back
Top Bottom