Best break-away cross ties for horses?

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
6 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
Hello all. I know some horse people are on here, so I thought I'd go out on a limb and ask if anyone has a favorite kind or brand of breakaway cross ties. Or, alternatively, if there is a way to buy 'panic snaps' or something like that that I could cobble together into my own break away cross ties. Any ideas?

My explanation for this is below, though you don't have to read if you don't want to lol. (I'm always long winded :oops: )

This is really the only brand/type besides others I'm seeing on a quick google search, I don't know if they're good or not or if there are better ones. The reviews sound decent but I don't know yet. There are some 'bungee' type but I'm a little afraid those might have a snap-back or something since descriptions were mentioning that kinda thing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQQXTY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A86M66Z7Z0Z95&th=1

Explanation:

I ask because I simply don't feel like having to go back to finding and tying two lead ropes in a slip knot for the mare I work with, Ginger, when we cross tie. She's not mine but I work with her a lot.

We used the slip knots and lead ropes before with Ginger, but she had gotten good with not pulling out of cross ties until now, again. My trainer believes part of it is she's been on stall rest for so long (due to an injury) and hasn't really been able to be ridden a lot/hard because of her foot injury/issue so she has some excess energy. I know another part of it is she's just trying to get out of work/acting up, and then freaks when she feels the pressure on her halter.

I want to look into getting her a pair of breakaway cross ties, or some kind of easier way to attach her to them with the breakaway option so she doesn't hurt herself or yank the ties out of the wall. Just yesterday she freaked on me and we were lucky the snap broke and not the tie, and luckily she was fine.

And yes, she will stand ground tied for me if I am near her, and since she's a lesson horse, other trainers or her leaser will typically just groom/tack up in her stall (which she is fine in). I wouldn't really trust her, and nor do the other trainers, to have anyone else ground tie her. She's notorious for testing people or trying to get away with crap.

I don't want her learning to get out of breakaway ties, but honestly it's a risk I'm willing to take since her issue with pulling back on them is back. And in the future, I'd feel a whole lot safer with them on her in case she decides to be an idiot. I think if the ties are heavy-duty enough and feel like real ties, she probably won't try it as much, but perhaps I'm wrong. Time will tell. Never had an issue with her learning to pull out of the slip-knotted ropes, so that's why I want to give this a chance.

In any case, whether or not you read my explanation lol, I'd love to hear about any thoughts. I want to look into the best cross ties for this, and I'll ask my trainer next week too. But thanks.

I didn't read the whole post, but my horse has pulling issues. She gets anxious with tack flying, blankets etc, and has had some pulling incidents in the past. We bought a tie breaker and its a life saver! Its not for cross ties, but if you had somewhere to tie your horse you could use it. It works amazing I really think its helped her anxiety.
It works by allowing the lead rope to release but not, break away, from the tie. So they can get release of pressure if they start pulling but they wont become loose. They also can't pull it free easily. It only releases if they get nervous and pull wildly.
Great product!
1644091647684.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 12.09.49 PM.png

Note: Not my horse. You can buy them on Amazon.

I didn't read the whole post, but my horse has pulling issues. She gets anxious with tack flying, blankets etc, and has had some pulling incidents in the past. We bought a tie breaker and its a life saver! Its not for cross ties, but if you had somewhere to tie your horse you could use it. It works amazing I really think its helped her anxiety.
It works by allowing the lead rope to release but not, break away, from the tie. So they can get release of pressure if they start pulling but they wont become loose. They also can't pull it free easily. It only releases if they get nervous and pull wildly.
Great product!
View attachment 2984461View attachment 2984463
Note: Not my horse. You can buy them on Amazon.
lol I wasn't really expecting people to care about my issues with the horse that's pulling back with me, but thank you for the reply!

This was the exact thing I was trying to think of, I will definitely look into it! The horse I work with isn't mine (I'm her trainer) but she has an issue pulling back and freaks from the pressure. I'll look into this and other options, too, since we mostly just have cross ties at my barn where we put horses. I'm sure I can get something, if not this exact thing, that'd work with her.

This was the exact thing I was trying to think of, I will definitely look into it! The horse I work with isn't mine (I'm her trainer) but she has an issue pulling back and freaks from the pressure. I'll look into this and other options, too, since we mostly just have cross ties at my barn where we put horses. I'm sure I can get something, if not this exact thing, that'd work with her.
That sounds exactly like Lucy! I'm glad I could help! It works great for her and its definitely reduced her anxiety.
Also, your her trainer? Thats SO cool!

I've modified regular cross ties by snipping the two layers apart and putting them back together using a long piece of velcro. Takes a lot of sewing though, kind of a pain. That tie blocker looks great, maybe keep the velcro in mind if you can't find one...

I ask because I simply don't feel like having to go back to finding and tying two lead ropes in a slip knot for the mare I work with, Ginger, when we cross tie.
Any chance of leaving the two lead ropes tied, in a safe place, for use each time?

It sounds like they worked well, and the problem is just the bother of finding them and tying them again.

I've modified regular cross ties by snipping the two layers apart and putting them back together using a long piece of velcro. Takes a lot of sewing though, kind of a pain. That tie blocker looks great, maybe keep the velcro in mind if you can't find one...
Oh, that's a good idea! I bet a lot of sewing would be a bit of a pain though. I will definitely keep it in mind...or just spend the money on breakaway ties. I don't know yet lol. Once we get over this funk and she learns to stand again and isn't so jumpy, I will for sure get her some kind of breakaway/quick release ties for the future and will leave them on her door and encourage others who take her out of her stall to use them as well, to avoid anymore incidents.

Even if I just get one tie blocker for the cross ties, haha, I bet it would still generally work and keep her in place.
Any chance of leaving the two lead ropes tied, in a safe place, for use each time?

It sounds like they worked well, and the problem is just the bother of finding them and tying them again.
There is a chance, and sometimes over last year I was able to leave ropes or at least one rope tied to the two different cross ties I primarily put her on. Problem is, so many different people use the cross ties (We are a lesson, lease, and board barn) that more often than not they disappear or are untied, which was why I was looking for different kinds of options.

I seriously am considering buying myself an extra lead rope though, lol, to have on hand for this if I don't/can't get something else soon or for just general future uses. That way I won't have to go hunting for lead ropes.

Or, get one of the natural halters, put on a pair of gloves, treats, (and your helmet if you want), take her to a fenced arena, and start ground work with the pressure and release method every day for ten minutes or so, then switch out halters until she gets used to it. It’s used in natural horsemanship and a lot of mustang trainers start teaching that as one of the first steps in gentle breaking. Elisa Wallace (she’s a 5 star event rider who also got into mustangs) has a lot of great videos on halter training with the natural horsemanship halters.

Back
Top Bottom