Best size for predator apron or skirt - newbie seeking advice

Thank you everyone for the guidance. We settled on 2' apron which will be a couple of inches below grade. Now my latest worry is rust. I am using galvanized, vinyl coated 0.5" hardware cloth (16 gauge). Spending a lot on that. Won't it just rust away under the dirt? I see lots of people do predator aprons - has anyone lost them to rust?
The vinyl may slow rusting down...but yes they can rust out.
Just read a post about that.....biggest problem was they didn't have roof overhangs out far enough to keep rain off of it.
You can read the rest here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...building-coops.1191089/page-489#post-22047423

There are heavier gauge wire like rabbit wire with 1/2" x 1" openings. It may or may not be less expensive than hardware cloth. It should last a lot longer being a heavier wire.

It just something that may be worth looking at.

For example yardgard 100 foot roll is $77 on Amazon with a 1/2x1/2 inch square grid.

Correction it is 1"x1" grid.

Last edited:
Thanks! I am predator-paranoid (not without reason as one of my local foxes had 7 kits right by the house last year) so I am doing the 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth skirt/apron (16 gauge, vinyl coated) and then on top of that I have a powder-coated cattle panel skirt. Both hardware cloth and cattle panel go up on the walls too. The whole arrangement is held together with hog rings. I am feeling good about this approach but worried it will all just fall apart with rust! I think I am going to paint any cut ends of wire and cattle panel to delay the rust. Maybe I will end up running a hot wire if I could figure out how to do that.

Back
Top Bottom