Broody Hen with Water Belly

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
Hey, so I noticed yesterday when candling the eggs beneath my EE hen that she had a large bulge near her breast. After doing some research, I'm pretty sure it's water belly (could it be anything else?) which is obviously very unfortunate. :(

She's been acting completely normal for a broody. She's protectively aggresive when I check the eggs and looks completely normal, but I do know chickens can hide symptoms extremely well.

I came away quite confused after researching treatment, since some people were saying you can cure the hen and they can live good lives, but others were saying no matter how many times you drain it, the underlying cause of the swelling will kill your hen.

Which is true?

If the latter is, I'd probably be more favorable to the idea of putting the hen down right away instead of making her suffer needlessly.

But if so, what should I do with the eggs under the hen? There are six of them, all fertilized and growing well. They're a week old.

I have an incubator coming in five days. Should I transfer them into it?

I'm quite confused and saddened for my poor hen. Any advice or knowledge is much appreciated. :hugs

A large bulge near her breast sounds more like a well filled crop as broody hens tend to stuff themselves when off the nest.

As their metabolism slows down considerably when broody, it can take several days for the crop to empty completely.

Water belly will be visible and palpable between and behind their legs.

Here's a pic.
20240518_170124.jpg

None of my broody hens in the past have had anything like this.

Hey, so I noticed yesterday when candling the eggs beneath my EE hen that she had a large bulge near her breast. After doing some research, I'm pretty sure it's water belly
That is her crop.

If the crop is not emptying overnight, then address that symptom.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

"Water Belly" a.k.a. Ascites is a symptom of fluid accumulation in the abdomen, it would be found under the vent between the legs.
1716092015811.jpeg

As she is a broody sitting on a nest, she will not defecate during the night and the crop takes much longer to empty than with non broody chickens.

How often does she get off the nest to eat, drink, poop and dustbathe?

Some broodies take daily breaks and will not stuff their crops, others will take a break only after 3-4 consecutive days on the nest and will have their crops filled accordingly, leaving enormous stinky turds when finally getting the chance to rid themselves of the accumulated waste.

As long as she leaves appropriate amounts of waste each time she gets off the nest, I would not worry and not treat for crop impaction.

I would always pick up my broodies in the morning and late afternoon to put them out for food and water, and to poop or take a dust bath. They always seemed to have a puffy large crop, and I assumed it was due to the body’s slowdown of its metabolism due to being broody. They need less food and water, and are mostly inactive. I would just keep an eye on her.

I feel like such a fool :lau but I'm so glad the hen will be okay!

I took her off the nest a little while ago and she ate and drank. She's been a great mama so far. :love

Thanks for the help everyone!

I feel like such a fool :lau but I'm so glad the hen will be okay!

I took her off the nest a little while ago and she ate and drank. She's been a great mama so far. :love

Thanks for the help everyone!
Eh...she's got the broody patch going on and with no feathers, it makes it look a lot bigger.

It's all good!

Hope the eggs hatch, keep us posted on how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom