Can 7 Roos live in harmony?

Tomsmom245

In the Brooder
May 23, 2021
Amazingly I ended up with 7 Roos in my 2 batches of “pullets” that I bought at TSC. Is it possible for these jerks to live in harmony if I put them in a separate coop from my 12 hens?
The only place I have to build a 2nd coop would be near the coop where the hens will live. Will this pose a problem?

Tried it multiple times. You can delay the inevitable but you may have a lot of blood and dead birds before you come to the reasonable conclusion that one rooster per coop is more than enough. Maybe two ... maybe. But if you ever need to isolate one for medicating or anything else, never ever leave two amicable roosters separated for more than a few hours because you will never get them back together.

You should feel free to try (if you don't have neighbors), but only invest in ways that advance the rest of your property. Basically, make sure that what you're building can be used for other purposes so that you don't feel like you went in so deep that you have to keep them.

I have mentioned before on here that the easiest way to do your first rooster dispatch is to make 'revenge chicken noodle soup'. Wait until one gets aggressive against you or a favored other roo and 'do the deed' without guilt. We are a predator species, but it is still easier for us to kill when we feel that we (or others) are threatened. Then each progressive roo dispatch will be easier as you learn that the bad ones are truly just awful creatures. Maybe you will work your way down to a true sweetheart that you want to keep forever.

My 2 roosters are Best Friends. They live in a mixed-gender and mixed-age flock of 10 chickens... Not sure if it will apply here.
20210629_165507_HDR.jpg

(Napping together)

I've heard of a Batchelor Flock but have no idea if it works

I have three roos (one is the father of the two younger brothers) and they get along fine. They will chase each other but it rarely comes to blows and there is no 'cockfighting'. They have enough space to avoid each other and get out of the way if necessary though. I don't think it would work if they were confined. The daddy roo has his own flock of now two hens, while the son has the rest of them and his brother is the '2nd in command' which basically means chasing the hens when his bro isn't paying attention. But they grew up together and I always cull any roosters that are aggressive.

I think it depends on the temperament and space you are willing to give them. Maybe try it and remove the troublemakers as it occurs, it's worth a shot if it's the only way you can keep them.

Back
Top Bottom