Cause of very thick yolk

roseraye

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
I have an older chicken a friend gave me. Not sure of age, but probably over 2 years. She lays everyday and the last week or so, I've noticed that the yolks in her eggs are very thick. It is so thick that I can't break it up with a fork. I was wondering if this could be her age. Anyone ever heard of this?
Just want to let everyone know, how much I enjoy this site and I have learned so much from you folks.
Thanks, Roseraye

Could it be:

Thick, pasty, rubbery or
cheese-like

Crude cottonseed oil (malvalic
acid and sterculic acid)

Avoid feeding to layers.

Copied from Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

Imp​

Welcome to BYC!!

I know i have read about eggs that were sort of solid inside, but i don't remember what it's called when that happens, so i'm not sure how to search for it. I'll give it a shot though and let you know if i find something.

Quote:
Copied from Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

Imp

I have never heard of this! Interesting. Is the cottonseed oil something that is found in commercial chicken feed?

Quote:

Imp

I have never heard of this! Interesting. Is the cottonseed oil something that is found in commercial chicken feed?

I have no idea. Here's the link. Has lots of interesting facts

www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/ep127.pdf

Imp

I looked at the ingredients in feed. I have been feeding Game Cock feed. The 10th ingredient listed is cottonseed meal. They have been eating this feed for about 2 months. I usually feed Southern States laying pellets, but husband brought the Game Cock. When I run out of Game Cock I will go back to laying pellets. The yolks aren't really pasty or cheese like, they are just really thick. The eggs taste fine and the chicken seems very healthy. Just one of those unexplained things, i guess. Thanks for your replies.
Roseraye

Maybe this isn't the place to ask this but, when did you start the layer feed? My girls are 15 and 19 wks and I'm 2/3 down in this 50# bag of starter feed. Could I put them on layer next rather than do another 50# of starter? I go thru 50# in about two weeks. Out of my 26 girls I have about 8 with red wattles, combs and faces on most of the same.

Back
Top Bottom