Cayuga Egg Question

QuackAddict19

Chirping
Feb 25, 2020
Kansas
So my cayuga duck just laid her first egg today! When I retrieved the egg, it was a dark brown almost black color (which is how I knew who laid it.) Since it had a bit of mud and poop on it, I washed it. While I was washing it, I noticed the brown color was coming off and it was white underneath! My hands looked like they had dye on them! I had never heard about this before and was super confused. It was like my cayuga had dyed her own Easter egg! 😜 Is this normal?

So my cayuga duck just laid her first egg today! When I retrieved the egg, it was a dark brown almost black color (which is how I knew who laid it.) Since it had a bit of mud and poop on it, I washed it. While I was washing it, I noticed the brown color was coming off and it was white underneath! My hands looked like they had dye on them! I had never heard about this before and was super confused. It was like my cayuga had dyed her own Easter egg! 😜 Is this normal?
Yep, especially when the color is that dark, it’s more likely to wash off. It’s like when you apply paint to thick, I don’t think it bonds with the shell as well. I also usually have white streaks where the color has not applied evenly or been scratched off. Now that my eggs are light gray, the color seems more firmly on there

Ehhhh....pretty rare, happens more with dark layers were the coating can be scratched off or smeared, even without water.
Also on my green egg layer chickens it seems like the blue part of the color goes all the way through because the insides of the shell are blue as well. With my duck eggs they are all white on the inside

In this pic you can see the smears where the egg is all white under the color
D2DE7D43-7C05-4456-8531-7B91B97AFE5B.jpeg

Also on my green egg layer chickens it seems like the blue part of the color goes all the way through because the insides of the shell are blue as well. With my duck eggs they are all white on the inside
Do any ducks lay blue shells?

There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.
The brown coating can be very light or very dark.
Then the bloom can add another aspect to the egg color.
Pink/purplish eggs are from the bloom on a brown egg.

Back
Top Bottom