Chicken fell in water

Jackson F

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2023
My chicken fell in our pond. And when I found her she was soaking wet not moving. She is moving her eyes. Twitching and shivering. I’m blow drying her right now and holding her with a towel. Any thing else I can do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 47
Is it cold where you are? chickens are usually able to take getting wet alright, they can even swim a bit like ducks if need be. Mine would be a little sluggish after I bathed them, but after a couple hours of drying in the sun would be running around just fine.

Is it cold where you are? chickens are usually able to take getting wet alright, they can even swim a bit like ducks if need be. Mine would be a little sluggish after I bathed them, but after a couple hours of drying in the sun would be running around just fine.
Not too cold maybe 60 degrees. She’s still in the same condition

My chicken fell in our pond. And when I found her she was soaking wet not moving. She is moving her eyes. Twitching and shivering. I’m blow drying her right now and holding her with a towel. Any thing else I can do?
Getting her dry under her wings is a priority.
Keeping her warm in general is obviously a good idea.
I gently lift their wings up and down, one needs to do it a lot. This not only helps to dry but also, because the wing bones are pnuematic, helps to get the lungs working harder.
Try to get her to eat. Offer some meat, tuna, anything that she likes. Once they eat, in general if they are kept warm they come out of shock and survive.

Getting her dry under her wings is a priority.
Keeping her warm in general is obviously a good idea.
I gently lift their wings up and down, one needs to do it a lot. This not only helps to dry but also, because the wing bones are pnuematic, helps to get the lungs working harder.
Try to get her to eat. Offer some meat, tuna, anything that she likes. Once they eat, in general if they are kept warm they come out of shock and survive.
She won’t eat. Her wings are dry. I have her wrapped up in some heated blankets

Just keep her warm tonight. Offer fluids up to her beak if you can. Fluids are more important than food now. Electrolytes of sugar water offered often.

Just keep her warm tonight. Offer fluids up to her beak if you can. Fluids are more important than food now. Electrolytes of sugar water offered often.
Ok update: chicken is in a small bin in the house all wrapped up like a little burrito in Towels. She’s under a heating lamp and appears to be better. She drank a little sugar water. Under the wings is warm and dry. Thank you all for the help. Will update you soon.

Back
Top Bottom