Chicken paralyzed? Not moving, but eating and drinking, hard crop too

Rohini0821

Chirping
Nov 11, 2020
hi there,

I was called to pick up my landlords chicken the other day, when I arrived she looked me straight in the eye! I took her home and have her in a dog crate away from my flock. She's on hay and laying on the left side of her body with the left leg straight out. She can curl the right leg up and scootch a little (as of today, day 3 with her). She has a heat lamp on her in the evenings.

She had diarrhea the first two days and a very large, hard crop. After reading other threads I gave her some apple cider vinegar in her water and she drank it all up! I kept the water in front of her so she just bends her head down to drink. I also took away all dry chicken feed for first 24 hours and gave her spinach fro. Day 1. She loves the spinach! I also added some olive oil to the spinach leaves.. Day 3 I gave her dry feed and a spinach/strawberry salad and she ate it right up! Day 3 she also started having more solid poops, but still runny sometimes.

Day 3- crop is smaller but still hard, she is extremely skinny and her bones are sticking out.

I inspected her and didn't see any visual bugs or mites but will do a better look tomorrow.

Aby ideas on what this girl has? She's for sure fighting, as I thought she was going to pass within the first 24 hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201111-202943_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201111-202943_Video Player.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20201111-202931_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201111-202931_Video Player.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 19
hi there,

I was called to pick up my landlords chicken the other day, when I arrived she looked me straight in the eye! I took her home and have her in a dog crate away from my flock. She's on hay and laying on the left side of her body with the left leg straight out. She can curl the right leg up and scootch a little (as of today, day 3 with her). She has a heat lamp on her in the evenings.

She had diarrhea the first two days and a very large, hard crop. After reading other threads I gave her some apple cider vinegar in her water and she drank it all up! I kept the water in front of her so she just bends her head down to drink. I also took away all dry chicken feed for first 24 hours and gave her spinach fro. Day 1. She loves the spinach! I also added some olive oil to the spinach leaves.. Day 3 I gave her dry feed and a spinach/strawberry salad and she ate it right up! Day 3 she also started having more solid poops, but still runny sometimes.

Day 3- crop is smaller but still hard, she is extremely skinny and her bones are sticking out.

I inspected her and didn't see any visual bugs or mites but will do a better look tomorrow.

Aby ideas on what this girl has? She's for sure fighting, as I thought she was going to pass within the first 24 hours.
What’s the update on your girl! Mine is going through a very similar experience. But I just discovered a bumpy abscessed sore under the wing she’s not moving. Not sure what do do.

What’s the update on your girl! Mine is going through a very similar experience. But I just discovered a bumpy abscessed sore under the wing she’s not moving. Not sure what do do.
She is doing okay today, the same. I noticed a lot of solid poop on her behind and legs so I decided to dip her in warm water. I found she has maggots or similar looks things crawling all over that area! Poor thing! Need to deworm asap I think

Attachments

• 20201112_174915.jpg
    20201112_174915.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201112_174927.jpg
    20201112_174927.jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201112_175929.jpg
    20201112_175929.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 18
Yes, it's extremely important that you get her cleaned up and remove every maggot on her. Is there a wound around her vent?
There is a red thing. Could be irritated or something. Ill look closer tomorrow and give her a full bath tomorrow am (dont want her to freeze tonight being wet)

Attachments

• 20201112_175929.jpg
    20201112_175929.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201112_174915.jpg
    20201112_174915.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 13
If this is flystrike, the maggots are eating her alive. Flystrike often happens from the bird being unable to move, poop collecting, flies and fast forward to maggots. It's advised to remove maggots immediately and keep the bird indoors so no other flies can get to her.

Back
Top Bottom