Chicken with bump on beak

Chicken Dave

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Tyngsborough, MA
yesterday i noticed a bump on the edge of my buff brahma hen's beak. i touched it with a glove on and its hard. does anyone know whats wrong with he?

heres some pics
12119_p8130025.jpg

12119_p8130023.jpg

This is just a guess, but on any other animal I'd say it looked like an abscess. Could she have gotten a sliver of wood or a thorn or some other foreign object stuck in there and her body is trying to encapsulate and rid itself of it?

It may have been in there a while and that is why it is hard.

I hope someone much more knowledgeable comes along if there is something more serious that you need to consider.

How does she act?

I read this this morning but wanted to think about it before replying.

Without seeing it in person, it looks like a wart type growth often found on certain breeds of dogs, especially poodles. It should not be contagious.

It could be an abscess, I personally would try to lance it and see if anything comes out. You can do this with a sterile needle ( like one for giving shots) easiest. If nothing comes out then I would not be concerned. If anything does flush it out with a syringe (without a needle) and a sterile solution such as an iodine type solution, make sure it's clean and just watch it.

If it an abscess and you do nothing most likely it will rupture itself and drain and either heal fine, or get infection ( open wound ).

Back
Top Bottom