chickens eat jello?

davi

Songster
Jun 26, 2012
On a hot summer's day I would make jello weekly, but can chickens eat jello? Hens always stare at the back door begging. The hens expression:
droolin.gif

I'm sure they can and be ok but I don't like feeding my chickens sugar. It is not good for them and there is no need to give them sugar but I imagine it would be a lot of fun to watch chickens eat jello. I fyou do give them some, take a video!

They actually lose a lot of it if you put it out on the ground, in a bowl they love it. I don't like giving my family sugar either so we use the sugar free.

You could always buy normal gelatin and put bugs or whatever you like inside. Most gelatin is animal based and usually is a good source of calcium at the least but. Try making jellow with a veggie or a few dried mealworms... kinda like the prize in a crackjack box eh?

Don't feed your chickens jello it has no nutritional value for you or your chickens. On hot days feed them veggies like cold watermelon, cold cucumbers. Chickens don't need sugar or salt in their diet.

Don't feed your chickens jello it has no nutritional value for you or your chickens. On hot days feed them veggies like cold watermelon, cold cucumbers. Chickens don't need sugar or salt in their diet.

That statement is not correct. Plain gelatin has no fat, nor carbs, no sugar and high in protein. As I stated before use plain gelatin and put either bugs, veggies, or fruit. Makes a wonderful treat for chickens as well as amusement for you as they attack the jiggly substance.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/284276-plain-gelatin-nutrition-information/

Last edited:
They actually lose a lot of it if you put it out on the ground, in a bowl they love it. I don't like giving my family sugar either so we use the sugar free.
If by sugar free you mean the diet type jelly ( we call it Jelly in Australia) that would contain artificial sweetener wouldnt it .. I imagine that wold be detrimental to chickens ? I buy plain unflavoured pure non GMO Gelatin and put strawberry tops or other bits of fruit like banana in it..

Back
Top Bottom