Chickens who roost in the trees at night.

coloradoalice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 21, 2011
We have 20 week old chickens who free range. They out grew the coop I use for my pullets before I put them in with the older chickens and started sleeping in the apple tree next to our house ( I don't know why anyone thought that was a good thing to plan next to a house but there it is!) We tried moving them into the big coop after dark a few times but they still go to the tree every night so I've decided to let them be, it's hot out and they are plenty safe there, we have a GP who patrols the property and we don't lock our coops at night anyway. I've just never had this happen, every time I've moved pullets to the big coop they just go there, no problem. I didn't realize they were sleeping in the tree til it had become a habit I guess, first it was one, then a couple, now tonight there are 7 in the tree which is the most there's ever been. Silly birds!

My question is, once it starts getting colder out will they go back to the coop? They have just started laying and they are using the nests, just not the roosts at night so I'm hoping they will eventually be ok with sleeping in there.

I'd break them of it even with a good guard dog. Owls can get them. I had one clean out a magpie nest a few nights ago. She needs to come back and finish the job. When we get casual with locking up and protecting our chickens, something finds them. My GPx slept through a breakin in my coop (bobcat) and he's a good guard dog.

If they go to the coop to escape the heat, just lock them up. As little as 2 nights might be all you need. You can also try aluminum pie plates in the apple tree to make it uninviting.

I would also break them of this bad habit ASAP. Lots of things can get to chickens roosting in trees, including raccoons and the aforementioned owls. I would make the tree uninviting, and if any still roost, I'd go get them and lock them in the coop each and every night until they get the hint. It may take up to a week. Finally, I'd personally clip their wings to stop this behavior. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight

Almost every time I've gotten lazy and decided not to go shut the coop up at night, I've had a predator attack. It was a hard lesson to learn, and I learned it three times before I learned that it's best to walk down at night and lock the hens in, no matter how much I don't feel like doing it.

Last edited:
Has anyone had success with them going back of their own accord?

I get what you are saying about predators and to be very honest I'm not worried but I guess there is a slight possibility of something happening.

I hadn't thought about clipping the wings. That might be a very good solution.

Back
Top Bottom