Chickens won’t go inside coop during storm.

cadenrupp

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2019
Our chickens won’t go inside their coop during the day. Most of the time this isn’t a problem but lately there have been many storms in our area. We need to get them inside and so far, everything we have done has failed. They have never had a problem going inside at night, so we’re wondering why this is and how to get them to go inside when we need them to. Any ideas and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Why won't they go in during a storm? They don't want to. Maybe they are hunting worms the rain brings to the surface or other creepy crawlies. Maybe they are enjoying the cool rain. They are happier outside than in.

How to get them to go in? Train them to come when called. Start feeding them a treat out of a special container, maybe a bucket. Rattle the bucket before you toss them treats and call something like "Here, chcky, chicky". Before too long they should come running when they see the bucket, hear the rattle, or hear your chant.

Why do you feel the chickens need to go in the coop during a storm?

FWIW, my chickens never go into the coop during a thunderstorm. I free range and they won't even go into the run during a storm unless they're hungry. Mine will get out of the weather if it's raining hard enough, but they have plenty of bushes or under the back porch to get shelter if they feel the need. Mine will stay out in a light rain all day long even in the winter.

This! If they need to go inside they will don't worry lol!
60mph wind my birds are out.
Torrential downpour...out.
Foot of snow...out.
Hail...depends on size.
I'm in the south eastern U.S, i'd run myself to death trying to wrangle birds due to weather. :)
Why do you feel the chickens need to go in the coop during a storm?

FWIW, my chickens never go into the coop during a thunderstorm. I free range and they won't even go into the run during a storm unless they're hungry. Mine will get out of the weather if it's raining hard enough, but they have plenty of bushes or under the back porch to get shelter if they feel the need. Mine will stay out in a light rain all day long even in the winter.

I think when we new chicken-folk raise them from tiny little fluffers, we feel the need to mother and protect them. I’m learning to calm down about mine. Although since I’m away for the weekend and it was over well up in the 90s today, I was giving anxious mom advice to DH over the phone.

I think when we new chicken-folk raise them from tiny little fluffers, we feel the need to mother and protect them. I’m learning to calm down about mine. Although since I’m away for the weekend and it was over well up in the 90s today, I was giving anxious mom advice to DH over the phone.
My hubby is home all day while I work. I'm constantly texting him orders for my girls lol.

I get that.
3 years ago I got fun chickens, just for me chickens, and even though I knew the deal I still was just like ya'll.
Crazy worried over birds probably tougher than I am.:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom