Combined open-air coop and run

Rather than getting the Omlet run you are looking at, you may want to consider lookin at the Retriever Dog kennels from Tractor Supply.I used these to surround my coop (which is raised off the ground 4 feet, therefore providing my girls additional “run” space. They are reasonably priced and very very easy to assemble (I’m a 72 yr old woman and did them by myself). I got the fabric roof and was able to put that up myself as well and have not had anything try to get in thru the roof (and I live in the mountains where there are tons of predator). I did wrap the bottom couple of feet of the kennel in hardware cloth so nothing could reach in (mice, snakes and rats can’t either). I also put a couple feet of hardware cloth skirt on the ground all the way around so nothing can dig in. It works great and is easy to add roosts to it. It looks much more substantial than the Omlet, in my opinion. I also bought some of the shade panels. Very handy. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/dog kennel panels?

I forgot to mention… being in Texas you will need to cover your coop/run completely, top to bottom, with hardware cloth no bigger than 1”x1/2” and at least 19 gauge (23 is too weak). This is because rat snakes climb trees.

As others said, you will need a predator apron all the way around your coop/run as well. Not only will it keep out digging predators: O’possum, skunk, fox, raccoon, ringtailed cats, coyote, stray dogs, etc.
It will, also, keep out snakes. Rat snakes will swallow eggs and chicks whole. Even though they can’t swallow an adult chicken they will still attempt to and suffocate the chicken in the process. As I said before…the predators will come! Build your coop to be secure from top (including your roof) to bottom (including an apron) and everything in between!
👍😊

Attachments

• 2C5D50E5-2812-445C-90A7-DD43EF144291.jpeg
    2C5D50E5-2812-445C-90A7-DD43EF144291.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 23
We have the exact same coop from TS. We paid the extra fee to have it put together by a profess. We are now in our 2nd summer. We have 10 chickens and a rooster. It’s a good size for them. It doesn’t leak.
we laid hardware cloth on the ground under The coop and run. Filled the run with dirt and sand. put hardware cloth up all the sides and door. Covered the run with a tarp.
when they reached full size we added another 10’ x 10’ covered run that is separated by a solar door. This also has hardware cloth under it. I built a “dust bath” and they love that. The hardware cloth goes up the sides like the other run.
On occasion we let them free range when we are outside doing yard work. They always go back in because that’s where they get their treats.
Our chickens are healthy and happy and we get anywhere from 9-11 eggs a day. Even in the winter.
I wish we could let them free range more but we have too many predators in our area.

Rather than getting the Omlet run you are looking at, you may want to consider lookin at the Retriever Dog kennels from Tractor Supply.I used these to surround my coop (which is raised off the ground 4 feet, therefore providing my girls additional “run” space. They are reasonably priced and very very easy to assemble (I’m a 72 yr old woman and did them by myself). I got the fabric roof and was able to put that up myself as well and have not had anything try to get in thru the roof (and I live in the mountains where there are tons of predator). I did wrap the bottom couple of feet of the kennel in hardware cloth so nothing could reach in (mice, snakes and rats can’t either). I also put a couple feet of hardware cloth skirt on the ground all the way around so nothing can dig in. It works great and is easy to add roosts to it. It looks much more substantial than the Omlet, in my opinion. I also bought some of the shade panels. Very handy. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/dog kennel panels?

those panels look like their chicken run.
And if you put that thing together by yourself, hat's off, lady!
I had help form my son and it was easy.
I wrapped the bottom in hardware cloth as well, and put a panel across the door, as the chicks stuck their heads out to nibble on outside greenery.
Also: Harbor freight sells tarps for a reasonable price as well as shade cloth for greenhouses.
I have half of my run covered with a canvas tarp to protect from rain. I left the shadecloth off for the time, as I have large trees to cast shade. it still got quite hot in the run.
the picture is before the move in day

IMG_0446.JPG

Edit:
My coop & run are both predator proof (1/2" hardware cloth)with an apron around the bottom (1-2 foot deep) I never close the coop. They get up early , go to bed early & come out when they want.They've never roosted outdoors but they have nest boxes indoors and out. My advise is make it big as you can so they have plenty of room.My 5 hens have 200 sq ft and I'd give them more if I could!
I live in NC where it doesn’t snow often in winter. I close my coop doors at night because they are just 10 weeks. However I’m thinking I should leave it open at night because they could go out into run earlier than what I get up in AM. Do you leave your coop door open all winter?

I live in NC where it doesn’t snow often in winter. I close my coop doors at night because they are just 10 weeks. However I’m thinking I should leave it open at night because they could go out into run earlier than what I get up in AM. Do you leave your coop door open all winter?
My coop is small so I leave it open year round to prevent moisture build up & frost bite.

I figure ten square feet per bird in an open-air combination run/coop. If chickens only go into a coop to sleep and lay, then the roosting bars and nest box in the run becomes the coop and the area under them is still run. No??
I have a 10x10 space run/coop combo inside but they can go under the coop and have 4 chickens. It is a perfect amount of space for mine.

My main coop is an Open Air setup, which combines the coop and run into one unit. I am working on the coop page for it now that it's been tested for a year, but you can see it in my Hot Climate article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

When the Little Monitor Coop was new and had an attached, predator-proofed run I never closed the pop door.

If your run is TOTALY predator proof,, Then you can leave open. Post pix of it and get opinions on what proof it is.
Night time predators are not seen during day,,,, so its a gamble.
Easy solution for letting them out earlier than you rise out of your sleep. Get automatic pop door, and have it open on timer,,, or electric eye, when it gets light. I have such a setup, and my chickens are out at the crack of dawn.
In NC, one of your potential predators are snakes. Yes,, they do slither around in the dark.
Again,,, post some pix to evaluate if your run is sufficiently predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom