Community Nest Boxes - Let me see 'em!

Pics

DarkWolf

Songster
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Murray Kentucky
You see alot of nest boxes on here, but it's hard to pinpoint those who use community nests and even harder to find pictures of them.

Post up your community nest box pictures and tell me why you like them (or why the birds like them) better than the standard 12x12's.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Some of you may have seen my refurbished galvanized 40 year old nest boxes with the round entrance holes. I think if I built new ones made of wood I would cut round entrance holes. It would look different and as the second pic shows it works.

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

here's my community nest box. It's about 23 inches long and 16 inches deep. I didn't have room for 2 boxes, and at this point, I'm glad I didn't bother. I've had 3 girls all laying at once - it was crowded but no one was fighting. Mostly they just hang out and bawk. Don't know if there are any advantages other than ease in egg collection...

It is made out of an old drawer given to me by a friend. It wasn't deep enough (only 9 inches), so we built sides from leftover plywood to give the angle and then re-attached the side at 45 degrees. The whole thing is coated with waterproof sealing stain.

I haven't had a broody yet - when that happens it might get a bit awkward. But I am still happy with the design.

IMG_3008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom