Corid as preventative when moving to new coop?

danlan

Songster
Jan 7, 2021
I have four 8-week pullets I'm moving into a coop formerly occupied by a small flock of grown hens. I say formerly, because a fox* wiped them all out and these pullets are their replacements. I have no idea if my previous flock ever suffered from coccidiosis, but if they did, the bacteria would still be present in the coop and run (dirt floor and impossible to get coop fully clean).

Should I give the pullets a round of Corid in their water for a few days as a preventative in case they pick up any germs from the previous residents or from wild birds defecating over the run?

*The coop is well fortified now against future fox incursions

To my understanding Corid is Amprolium which only treats the protozoan parasite form of coccidiosis. If you're concerned about the bacterial form then it will be very ineffective. The better thing to do would be to clean and disinfect the area as much as you possibly can and make sure there is all new bedding.

I have four 8-week pullets I'm moving into a coop formerly occupied by a small flock of grown hens. I say formerly, because a fox* wiped them all out and these pullets are their replacements. I have no idea if my previous flock ever suffered from coccidiosis, but if they did, the bacteria would still be present in the coop and run (dirt floor and impossible to get coop fully clean).

Should I give the pullets a round of Corid in their water for a few days as a preventative in case they pick up any germs from the previous residents or from wild birds defecating over the run?

*The coop is well fortified now against future fox incursions
Give your coop a tidying up, scoop up some of the obvious old poop, stir in some new bedding, rake up your run a little and dispose of some of the older debris and call it good.

Coccidiosis is caused by an overload of Coccidia which is a protozoa, it's found in poop and soil. Your "old" chickens likely had one strain or another, your newbies will too (there are 9 strains of Coccidia that are species specific in poultry). Your newbies will be exposed to whatever is there, just as if you bought some chicks and added them to an existing flock - they will build resistance to whatever they are exposed to - you want exposure, just keep your housing/bedding, etc. relatively tidy and dry.

When there's cause for concern is when there's an overload of Coccidia in the bird's system.
8 week old pullets should have some resistance to the strain(s) found in the environment they are accustomed to now, but it's possible that you have other strains that may or may not be an issue.

Wait a week after they have been exposed to their new home (it takes oocysts around 4-7 days to sporulate), then treat all with Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Coccidia are not really bacterial, but IF you did have an outbreak and birds became very sick, then it's possible to have a secondary bacterial infection which would require an antibiotic, but with treating them with the Corid, chances are low for that to happen.

Hopefully your new pullets will be happy and healthy. I'm sorry to hear you lost your previous flock.

Back
Top Bottom