Coturnix Quail - Color Identification Help? (Lots of pictures!)

CiaBia

Songster
Feb 12, 2018
Miami, Florida
To start, I am very new to quail so apologies for any mistakes in advance! I have been raising chickens for years and just recently hatched my first quail. I am OBSESSED :love. I am very much confused on the proper identification of their colors though, and since I intend to breed these little ones I would love to be able to refer to them correctly (and be able to choose the best pairings for what I have).

All these babies were purchased as Celadon blue coturnix quail eggs from several different pens separated by color. The seller raises most of the 'common' varieties as well as pastels: light pastel, dark pastel, silver, buff, and sexable pastel wild pattern (typed as listed, not sure if those are all true varieties). They hatched on December 22 and are 3 weeks old in the photos.

I would LOVE any and all imput you may have on what colors these babies are and possibly even gender if it's a sexable color variety. Any suggestions for breeding pairs/ trios would much appreciated as well (roughly of course since I don't know genders yet). Thank you all in advance!

P1.jpg P2.jpg P3.jpg

#2 wild typ-ish
L1.jpg L2.jpg

B1.jpg B2.jpg B3.jpg

#4 regular wild type, or lighter? :idunno
W1.jpg W2.jpg

#5 Silver?
S1.jpg S2.jpg S3.jpg S4.jpg

C1.jpg C2.jpg C3.jpg

Attachments

• C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Welcome to quail.
I am afraid that if the seller keeps birds/colors mixed up than your babies aren't going to be a "real" color but instead mixes.

Can you ask the seller for pictures of the parent birds and post them too?

Welcome to quail.
I am afraid that if the seller keeps birds/colors mixed up than your babies aren't going to be a "real" color but instead mixes.

Can you ask the seller for pictures of the parent birds and post them too?

Thank you for responding so fast! They did say that they keep their colors separate and send eggs from all their pens; I did hatch several more that were more 'clear cut' in type like tibetan, tuxedo, and wild types. These were the ones that threw me for a loop because I can't find any pictures to compare them to online (maybe mixes then?). I know little to none about the pastels so I didn't know if there were different types that could be distinguished. I'll definitely shoot them a message in the meantime and see if I can get pictures of the parents or at least a list of all their pen colors.

Edit: Just reread and they said "All pastel colors of hens are housed with Celadon blue males of the same color" and that they "Keep separate breeding pens for each type/color of bird". Assuming that's true of course!

Last edited:
They did say that they keep their colors separate and send eggs from all their pens;
This sounds much better.
Do you mind me asking who you bought eggs from?
I'm guessing it's not somebody here on BYC, correct?

Thank you for responding so fast! They did say that they keep their colors separate and send eggs from all their pens; I did hatch several more that were more 'clear cut' in type like tibetan, tuxedo, and wild types. These were the ones that threw me for a loop because I can't find any pictures to compare them to online (maybe mixes then?). I know little to none about the pastels so I didn't know if there were different types that could be distinguished. I'll definitely shoot them a message in the meantime and see if I can get pictures of the parents or at least a list of all their pen colors.

Edit: Just reread and they said "All pastel colors of hens are housed with Celadon blue males of the same color" and that they "Keep separate breeding pens for each type/color of bird". Assuming that's true of course!
Celadon blue male... Can be any one of the million colors of quail.

That C word refers to only the egg color.

I can't find them.:(
Thank you so much! Here's the heading from the listing I purchased -

2 dozen! (24) Celadon Blue Coturnix Quail Eggs **FREE SHIPPING**

If you copy/paste that in the search it should pop right up! :fl They have LOTS of listings for different varieties and quantities.

Back
Top Bottom