Cracked Beak, help!

AmberSmol

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Texas

Noticed one of my hens beaks is split. Is this a bad thing? If so what steps should I take to eliminate this problem?

Hmmmm, that's quite the notch. Great pic by the way.
Wonder how that happened? It doesn't look jagged like it chipped, almost looks like it was filed in there

Not sure what to tell you......is it just that notch or is there a crack that goes up further?

You might be able to file or clip it down a bit to avoid those sharp points from breaking off and possibly breaking up further. It should grow out in time.

Beware that there is a blood filled quick in a beak, like a dog or cat or bird toenail, that can bleed like the dickens if clipped, why filing might be a better idea.

Do some research, I'm sure others have dealt with this problem, but I haven't so can't really advise anything concrete.
I can help you learn to search tho:
advanced search>titles only>cracked beak

Good Luck! Come back and let us know if you found a solution.

Hmmmm, that's quite the notch.  Great pic by the way.
Wonder how that happened? It doesn't look jagged like it chipped, almost looks like it was filed in there

Not sure what to tell you......is it just that notch or is there a crack that goes up further?

You might be able to file or clip it down a bit to avoid those sharp points from breaking off and possibly breaking up further. It should grow out in time.

Beware that there is a blood filled quick in a beak, like a dog or cat or bird toenail, that can bleed like the dickens if clipped, why filing might be a better idea.

Do some research, I'm sure others have dealt with this problem, but I haven't so can't really advise anything concrete.
I can help you learn to search tho:
advanced search>titles only>cracked beak

Good Luck! Come back and let us know if you found a solution.

It's just a little notch, from what I can tell it doesn't go up any further, but Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to post and update

After doing some research I decided to just go ahead and carefully snip off the excess with nail clippers and file down the rest with a metal nail filer. I noticed the pieces that were originally there were a bit flimsy as if she had already been trying to file it down herself. It was very easy to fix, she sat very still, and now she looks good as new! :)

Oh Good Job!! ......and geez, how do you get such great pics?!?! You must have a good camera and a very compliant hen.

Not trying to advertise for samsung lol but! I take pics with my boyfriends phone. Its a galaxy S5 and its absolutely amazing! :)

Back
Top Bottom