Crested mallard chick?

Bowman10117

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2019
Hey everyone im new here and i have some mallard chicks. They are all female and one of them is very light and has an afro on her head. Is this bad? Could she me a mix between 2 different ducks? I just want to make sure shes okay. Any feed back would be helpful thanks.
20190423_193100.jpg

It is crested, but not a Rouen or mallard, coloring is considerably off. Neither breed variation sport any blue feathers as seen on this bird or such light brown feathers as seen on its chest. It is very likely a cross breed. Where did you get it? Beautiful bird.

I agree - seems to be a cross breed. I've got one of my own that is about the same age, although the person who sold me the eggs told me they were 100% mallard. Notice the upright stance and the white patch behind the neck? That's why I suspect a mix.
20190424_072306.jpg

No matter what the breed or cross-breed, they will be cute either way! Crested ducks are very attractive and fun to watch, although keep an eye on her for abuse. The crest is a vulnerable spot and she can get hurt during mating since the male will grab her by the back of the head.

Best of luck to you!

It is crested, but not a Rouen or mallard, coloring is considerably off. Neither breed variation sport any blue feathers as seen on this bird or such light brown feathers as seen on its chest. It is very likely a cross breed. Where did you get it? Beautiful bird.
I seen her at tractor supply she looked lighter than the rest of ducks so i brought her home

Back
Top Bottom