Crooked Leg, Closed Web Foot plus Pooping Issues - Please Help

DucklingMama3

Chirping
May 4, 2023
I recently had to help 4 ducklings hatch. This duckling was approaching 48 hours after external pip and was shrink wrapped, so I had to help her out (as well as the others). However, this one has some issues. Although, she is in such good spirits, eating and drinking, moving around, seems happy, but, we have these issues ...

1. Crooked Leg/Foot Issue - I noticed yesterday that her left leg and foot are not formed correctly. The leg sticks out when she lays and the foot is curled and she does not spread the web. It's causing her trouble walking. I've been reading about the niacin deficiency - has anyone had it this bad? Will niacin treatments help this or is it too much? All our local stores are out of the durvet and other remedies
mentioned, so I have to order it online. The joint seems like it is really bent at the base of the leg and foot. I am posting 2 pictures to hopefully get some input.

2. Pooping Issue - Her foot was way over her head when she was in the egg. She came out of the egg with a bleeding umbilical, which I used cornstarch to stop. Her poop keeps drying and I have been using Q-tips and water to remove it several times a day. Now the Poop keeps slowly coming out without stopping and sometimes still blocks up - any thoughts? I am also wondering if the brown spot above the flesh in the picture is poop or dried umbilical / cornstarch - I don't want to try to get that part off and have her bleed again.

Thank you! I must say, this website has been so wonderful for helping me save these 4 ducklings. I could not have done it without the help of everyone posting here!
IMG-4472 (1).jpg
IMG-4473.jpg

That maybe umbilicus since she hadn’t absorbed it when hatched. Don’t think I’d mess with it. As for the poop you can see the vent and poop just comes out constantly? We need @New duck mommy 2021 I've never had to deal with this.
As for the leg will it bend all the way down like the other one? Just want to rule out slipped tendon

You can make a boot for her foot
She may need it on for a few days
If you have vet wrap and cut a piece of cardboard the shape of her foot ( check the other one for size
Put the cardboard cut under her foot then wrap with vet wrap
For the leg I’m not sure
Could be slipped tendon or just not strong
Starting her on vitamin B complex is a great idea when it comes in
For the belly that looks like a dried up yolk sac ? It’s hard to tell for sure by picture but if her vent is fully cleared then I wouldn’t touch it
When did she hatch ?
Usually they don’t do continuous poo
You can take a wet warm cloth and gently rub around the vent in case it’s stuck inside a bit from egg goo
That would be the only thing I can think of that’s causing slow poo leaking instead of a regular normal poo
The vent on the outside looks ok but maybe dried on the inside part that opens fully

You can make a boot for her foot
She may need it on for a few days
If you have vet wrap and cut a piece of cardboard the shape of her foot ( check the other one for size
Put the cardboard cut under her foot then wrap with vet wrap
For the leg I’m not sure
Could be slipped tendon or just not strong
Starting her on vitamin B complex is a great idea when it comes in
For the belly that looks like a dried up yolk sac ? It’s hard to tell for sure by picture but if her vent is fully cleared then I wouldn’t touch it
When did she hatch ?
Usually they don’t do continuous poo
You can take a wet warm cloth and gently rub around the vent in case it’s stuck inside a bit from egg goo
That would be the only thing I can think of that’s causing slow poo leaking instead of a regular normal poo
The vent on the outside looks ok but maybe dried on the inside part that opens fully
Thank you for all the feedback and advice. She hatched on Tuesday morning.

I made a boot today with cardboard and vet wrap - she hates it but, we will pray it works. Started her on the vitamins

The poop is still an issue and now it looks like it’s going under a thin layer of skin. I did push it up earlier and cleared a lot of it and seems like a few hard pieces of poop came out. Hoping that helps, but it is still slowly coming out.
6B44185A-3F5E-4627-BDD6-F81BAB4E98AF.jpeg
4E3F4F0A-6C67-4418-BE14-F9162CB7F9C1.jpeg

I made a boot today with cardboard and vet wrap - she hates it but, we will pray it works. Started her on the vitamins

The poop is still an issue and now it looks like it’s going under a thin layer of skin. I did push it up earlier and cleared a lot of it and seems like a few hard pieces of poop came out. Hoping that helps, but it is still slowly coming out. View attachment 3494088View attachment 3494089
I think that yellow / green thing is the yolk sac that didn’t absorb
Hard to say from the pictures but is that big area at her belly button ?
Almost looks like an infection
@HollowOfWisps
@Wyorp Rock
@Miss Lydia
@BelovedBirds
Just what others to see what they think
If that’s on and around her vent it needs to be fully cleared away
If that’s on her belly I would wait for others maybe put antibiotic cream on it without pain relief

The poop is still an issue and now it looks like it’s going under a thin layer of skin. I did push it up earlier and cleared a lot of it and seems like a few hard pieces of poop came out. Hoping that helps, but it is still slowly coming out. View attachment 3494088View attachment 3494089
I agree with @New duck mommy 2021
Can you have a good look and locate her vent? See if it's between that open area and her tail. If you're able to confirm that this is not her vent, it could be an infected naval.
Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief)?

I agree with @New duck mommy 2021
Can you have a good look and locate her vent? See if it's between that open area and her tail. If you're able to confirm that this is not her vent, it could be an infected naval.
Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief)?
I do have antibiotic cream without pain relief. So, this is my first experience with this so I don’t mean to sound stupid. There is the brown crusty part which I don’t mess with because I caught a small part of it with the Q-tip and it started bleeding, so I quickly got that to stop. Below that is a round hole and brown stuff is coming out which I assume is poop. Below that is a horizontal that looks clear. Then the tail. I’ll try to get a better picture tomorrow before and after I clean her up.

You don't sound stupid it's just that sometime when we see pictures it isn't so clear what we are looking at.
so better pictures would be good.

How is the duckling acting. Is it full of life running around with the others? eating and drinking?

With very clean hands you can put some antibiotic cream on the belly area.

Is the poop just running out continually?

Back
Top Bottom