Culling a long time rooster. Is there a better time of day?

Pics
May 27, 2019
Smithville, MO
We have a rooster that is in charge of 18 pullets and hens. He has worn out his welcome. My legs are scarred beyond belief. I have been trying everything under the sun for the last 3 months with no success. I have lumps where he has spurred me that are over a month old.
My question is is there a better time of day to cull him? I was thinking at bedtime so it doesn’t disrupt the ladies too much but I didn’t know.

Sooner than later is the best time. You are going to love chickens again once he is gone, and never again will you dilly dally over this decision because it is going to be wonderful for you and FOR YOUR HENS for him to be gone.

A five foot fish net on a handle or a chicken hook can catch him in the day time. Getting him off the roost after dark is a good idea, wear a long sleeve sweatshirt in case he tries to bite.

Do not worry about upsetting the girls, living with an aggressive bird adds so much tension to the flock, they don't like it when he attacks you either. Just get him gone. You are going to be amazed at the difference in the tension of the flock when he is gone.

Mrs K

We always pick them from the roost at night, so there will be no chasing around or upsetting the rest of the flock.

As all my chickens are used to being touched and handled at night (I inspect their feet, crops and butts regularly) they do not even wake up and are already gone.

For us this has proven to be the easiest and animal friendliest way and this no stress procedure makes for wonderfully tender and delicate meat.

We have a rooster that is in charge of 18 pullets and hens. He has worn out his welcome. My legs are scarred beyond belief. I have been trying everything under the sun for the last 3 months with no success. I have lumps where he has spurred me that are over a month old.
My question is is there a better time of day to cull him? I was thinking at bedtime so it doesn’t disrupt the ladies too much but I didn’t know.
why not try to find him a new home instead of kill him?

Back
Top Bottom