Here's 18 new fuzzy butts were due today (18th), but hatched on Day 19 and 20.

The one I marked was an egg from my partridge hen/white rooster I grabbed from the coop that I knew was hers. I just wanted to see what she'd make. It's going to be reddish maybe splash it seems as it's yellow and red, but not vaulted nor bearded. Still, it'll be pretty!

I usually sell all of these, but I'm going to keep a chocolate and a mauve or blue splash out of this batch. On the 23rd, I have some purchased eggs hatching as well as a few of my own. I can see then what I'm keeping and make a final decision then. ☺️

View attachment 3836241
Congrats Debbie! Adorable pile of fuzz there. :love

They are so cute!

That will be fun to watch thay partridge / white chick grow up!
What's funny is I posted that picture in a FB poultry group without the arrow on it, and some dude picked that one out and asked if that was going to be an orange chicken as he lost one last fall and wants another one. I was so shocked he picked that head out of 17 others, the one that's nothing like the others either. Weird!!

Any update this week on the Bobbi eggs?? Hoping for good news and that she had enough to ship to you :fl
No, but this coming Monday would be two weeks since she told me the buffs weren't laying. I paid her $160 on April 28 and understand she had orders before mine to fill. I think I'll see if she's got a lot of those lemon cuckoos to fill in for whatever buffs she doesn't have. I was already saying about 3 other types of silkies like porcelain and crele. At this point, I'll almost take whatever she's got or just ask for my money back.

No, but this coming Monday would be two weeks since she told me the buffs weren't laying. I paid her $160 on April 28 and understand she had orders before mine to fill. I think I'll see if she's got a lot of those lemon cuckoos to fill in for whatever buffs she doesn't have. I was already saying about 3 other types of silkies like porcelain and crele. At this point, I'll almost take whatever she's got or just ask for my money back.
Hopefully those little buff fluffs get to laying! My silkies took the last 2 weeks to relax apparently, I was getting 5 a day, then just 1 or 2. Yesterday we got 5 again!

Hopefully those little buff fluffs get to laying! My silkies took the last 2 weeks to relax apparently, I was getting 5 a day, then just 1 or 2. Yesterday we got 5 again!
I'm down to 3 hens in the breeding pen and got 3 eggs two days in a row. You'd know that was rare around here if you'd see me all excited running with them into the house to show the hubs!

I'm down to 3 hens in the breeding pen and got 3 eggs two days in a row. You'd know that was rare around here if you'd see me all excited running with them into the house to show the hubs!
I definitely ping pong between being disappointed everyone laid to excited everyone laid 🤣 the layers are laying like crazy, so if they have a slack day it's almost a relief. Eggs just aren't selling well so I keep ending up giving them away 🙄 yet feed prices don't match that ☹️

It doesn't help I have all those growing chicks with their hollow legs. We're going through feed like crazy. The boys will be going into a tractor next week so that should help, they'll be grazing on plants and bugs along with their feed for the next 2 months the until they are freezer ready. We'll start with the big bullies and see if we have any pretty and nice ones remaining to keep as pets. It will be interesting to get a cocokerl count going into the tractor. I think all boys except the silkie boys will go in there. Hopefully the silkie boys can keep themselves together enough to not terrorize the girls.

A story of turnaround.

I've hatched a couple of batches in the past few days. As you might have known or seen, one small batch of eggs I bought was just to get me one bearded/vaulted white silkie hen and rooster.

I found 6 eggs for sale, she sent 7. Shocking that 5 of those hatched, the other two appear to have died around the midpoint. Nothing notable occurred that would explain that but they had been growing with aircells on both ends. Among those were some other shipped eggs and some of mine.

One of the white ones, a little yellow chick, wasn't doing so well. To my dismay, it appeared it had not just splayed legs but probably legs out of joint. He was fluffy and dry, but just laying there crying, trying to scoot around. That was this morning so I put it back in the incubator for the day as it was crying like it was cold but temp was fine, as were all of its siblings. It slept most of today. When hubby got home, I told him about it and I was a little stressed because we're going to be gone all day Saturday, and I sure didn't plan to have a disabled/sick chick. We have backup water bottles and feed for both brooders, so they'd be fine, but not this one. I couldn't leave it, so I had to devise a way to bring it along with us.

I got the Vet Wrap strip cut and went to open the incubator to bind its legs. Except, it was sitting there without splayed legs.

Very weird as it sure had issues 10 hours earlier!

Yet, it wouldn't stand. It was scooting around on its haunches. It still had something wrong with its legs. I brought it out to the kitchen table to look it over and get it to drink w/ Nutradrench. Hubby didn't like how we stick their beaks in the water, so got a spoon. The little one drank from his spoon. I crushed a little feed, and it ate from his hand. Then, it stood up to eat from his hand. I was excited! He's using his legs!! Hubby said it just hadn't found its legs yet. That must be what it was. There is nothing wrong with this chick.

Well, we now have so many I didn't even count, yet. There are also 8 in the other brooder that are to be sold. Some of these will be sold but some are claimed and some I'm keeping to grow out.

The chick who recovered is the yellow one in the middle. I'm going to keep that one. ❤️

Note: I caught them while they were sleeping. They're all alive. 😊

IMG_1038.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom