Delaware and RIR Roosters - Batchelor LA

PeepOverlord

Chirping
Mar 4, 2021
Don't DM me telling me it's "normal" for Mr Delaware to be raping my 17wk old egg girls - he has to go asap before he gets himself shot.
He's beautiful, he's a great rooster. I really wanted to keep him. He only crows once a day, then shuts up. He's very friendly, comes when you whistle, and sits on your lap. He's no coward but not a bully, either. My chickens free range days, and he makes sure all the hens are in at night.
But yesterday I kept hearing my hens screaming and finding *piles* of feathers (like from a cat attack). This morning I saw for myself what's tearing out their feathers 😭 and why overnight they turned skittish, and why they keep running from one area to another in 100+ degree heat, and why they did not want to go inside Fort Chikken last night. He just tackles and rapes. Or corners and rapes. While the poor hen is screaming and struggling to get away.
He needs to go live with some Big Girls who will teach him some manners.

I also have a small RIR rooster who needs to go. He's also 17 wks. He's small and minds his business but I'm done feeding roosters.

Both Roosters are purebred and Soy-Corn-GMO-Medicated free. No mites, no lice, no worms. Born 3/2/2021. Dunlap Hatchery. Feed: MileFour and free range.
Preference given to free range homes.

Attachments

• miniroo.jpg
    miniroo.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 12
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 7
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 7
That first picture looks like a pullet, not a cockerel.
If it’s gotten this bad for your pullets, you could temporarily separate the Delaware.

Don't DM me telling me it's "normal" for Mr Delaware to be raping my 17wk old egg girls - he has to go asap before he gets himself shot.
He's beautiful, he's a great rooster. I really wanted to keep him. He only crows once a day, then shuts up. He's very friendly, comes when you whistle, and sits on your lap. He's no coward but not a bully, either. My chickens free range days, and he makes sure all the hens are in at night.
But yesterday I kept hearing my hens screaming and finding *piles* of feathers (like from a cat attack). This morning I saw for myself what's tearing out their feathers 😭 and why overnight they turned skittish, and why they keep running from one area to another in 100+ degree heat, and why they did not want to go inside Fort Chikken last night. He just tackles and rapes. Or corners and rapes. While the poor hen is screaming and struggling to get away.
He needs to go live with some Big Girls who will teach him some manners.

I also have a small RIR rooster who needs to go. He's also 17 wks. He's small and minds his business but I'm done feeding roosters.

Both Roosters are purebred and Soy-Corn-GMO-Medicated free. No mites, no lice, no worms. Born 3/2/2021. Dunlap Hatchery. Feed: MileFour and free range.
Preference given to free range homes.
What state do you live in

That first picture looks like a pullet, not a cockerel.
If it’s gotten this bad for your pullets, you could temporarily separate the Delaware.
Definitely not a pullet.You're welcome to come get him and *bonus* for you if he turns out to lay eggs 😄. I can post pics of the RIR girls if you need, they're all the same age.
And as I said in my original post - I have no way to separate RooRooRapist.

Last edited:
Definitely not a pullet. I can post pics of the RIR girls if you need.
And as I said in my original post - I have no way to separate him.
At 17 weeks RIR pullets will start to get larger, redder combs since they’re close to egg laying. You may want to start a thread about your RIR in the breed/gender forum before rehoming it.

Sorry, sounds like a difficult situation. I hope you’ll be able to find a home for him.

IDK how to delete a thread but Rapey Rooster is no more. The little RIR guy is still here if anyone wants him.

Roosters don't rape hens. We need to stop projecting human traits onto farm animals.

Yes, some roosters are more aggressive than others and need to learn some manners, but over breeding or unwanted breeding is not rape. It's simply an animal that is trying to reproduce themselves. They aren't doing it out of a need to dominate or a hatred of the hens. Its instinct for them to make sure their DNA gets passed on to the next generation.

Roosters don't rape hens. We need to stop projecting human traits onto farm animals.

Yes, some roosters are more aggressive than others and need to learn some manners, but over breeding or unwanted breeding is not rape. It's simply an animal that is trying to reproduce themselves. They aren't doing it out of a need to dominate or a hatred of the hens. Its instinct for them to make sure their DNA gets passed on to the next generation.
Hey, keyboard preacher - Next time do some research before you hijack someone's thread.
Especially when your wrong and your reply is irrelevant; which you would have known had you read more than the word "rape" and jumped on your high horse.

Many animals, including females, dominance hump other animals, including same sex. If the aggressor is male - it typically ends up being a rape, regardless of the gender or species of the victim. That has absolutely nothing to do with "passing on genes".
There is no pretty word for violent, forced copulation no matter what critter you are. Animals rape, murder, steal, deceive, commit incest, eat their own babies, etc. Doesn't matter to them if their victim is the same gender or species.
Tom cats will rape too-old, or spayed, or not-in-heat females and young males. Dogs rape (anything really), geese and turkeys rape chickens; pigs rape cows, burros can be as bad as dogs... dolphins sexually molest humans (so will canines, monkeys, apes and equines) it has nothing to do with "passing on genes".
You call it whatever you need to call it if it makes you feel better about allowing it. On my farm it's unacceptable and will never be passed on genetically or by learned behavior.

I have quite a lot of time, money, work, and care into my hens - who are now bleeding, terrified to dust bathe, eat, drink or rest. Their feathers are all over my yard, they've visibly lost weight in under a week, they refuse to go in the henhouse at night, are being chased to exhaustion in 100+ degree heat and losing their voices from screaming in pain and terror while struggling to escape being bitten, clawed and raped multiple times per day. I can't get any work done with 8 hens fighting for a safe position on top of me or under me to escape the abuse.
Tonight after Rapey Rooster tore up two hens, (one of whom is *still* bleeding from her neck) he made the fatal mistake of attempting to "pass on his genes" to my poor old spayed cat. He immediately met "a very unfortunate accident".
Can you hear it? The absence of screams, squawks, flapping, and bodies hitting the walls coming from my henhouse. Tomorrow my ladies can begin to relax and recover.

Hey, keyboard preacher - Next time do some research before you hijack someone's thread.
Especially when your wrong and your reply is irrelevant; which you would have known had you read more than the word "rape" and jumped on your high horse.

Many animals, including females, dominance hump other animals, including same sex. If the aggressor is male - it typically ends up being a rape, regardless of the gender or species of the victim. That has absolutely nothing to do with "passing on genes".
There is no pretty word for violent, forced copulation no matter what critter you are. Animals rape, murder, steal, deceive, commit incest, eat their own babies, etc. Doesn't matter to them if their victim is the same gender or species.
Tom cats will rape too-old, or spayed, or not-in-heat females and young males. Dogs rape (anything really), geese and turkeys rape chickens; pigs rape cows, burros can be as bad as dogs... dolphins sexually molest humans (so will canines, monkeys, apes and equines) it has nothing to do with "passing on genes".
You call it whatever you need to call it if it makes you feel better about allowing it. On my farm it's unacceptable and will never be passed on genetically or by learned behavior.

I have quite a lot of time, money, work, and care into my hens - who are now bleeding, terrified to dust bathe, eat, drink or rest. Their feathers are all over my yard, they've visibly lost weight in under a week, they refuse to go in the henhouse at night, are being chased to exhaustion in 100+ degree heat and losing their voices from screaming in pain and terror while struggling to escape being bitten, clawed and raped multiple times per day. I can't get any work done with 8 hens fighting for a safe position on top of me or under me to escape the abuse.
Tonight after Rapey Rooster tore up two hens, (one of whom is *still* bleeding from her neck) he made the fatal mistake of attempting to "pass on his genes" to my poor old spayed cat. He immediately met "a very unfortunate accident".
Can you hear it? The absence of screams, squawks, flapping, and bodies hitting the walls coming from my henhouse. Tomorrow my ladies can begin to relax and recover.
My apologies for responding to someone who was going to make personal attacks. If I would have known I was going to get a response based on emotion rather than logic, I would not have attempted to provide facts.

I don't fault you for getting rid of a problem bird. I ate one of my best layers because she didn't fit with the rest. It's not worth the hassle.

A bird with a brain the size of a walnut does not have the capacity to purposely commit an act based on violence and hatred, which is what rape is. He is simply acting on his hormones. He cannot rationalize right or wrong like humans can. Projecting human actions onto animals is not logical.

Back
Top Bottom