do ducks sleep the entire night?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
ive noticed as soon as my birds go into the coop at night the chickens fall right to sleep, the goose is always awake, and sometimes the duck is awake sometimes she is asleep. so do ducks sleep the whole night through like chickens or do they tay awake through part of it like geese? and do the sleep with their head tucked in their wings?

Mine used to sleep through the night, when they were very little. From what I have seen and heard, my ducks (runners) are nappers. They sleep a few hours, bills tucked under wings, perhaps cooing a little, then they are up looking around.

I smiled to see your question today, because last night, for the first time in a long time, if ever, my duck Sechs woke up around 2:30 a.m. feeling very chatty. Not yelling, not alarmed, just chatting. Around 3 a.m. I decided to try turning out their night light (in the past when I have tried this, mayhem ensued). Click, off the light. I waited. After a bit, her chatter subsided and then stopped. No mayhem. Good night, duck sweeties.

Tonight I think we will try going without the light all night.

Yup mine are nappers. Up for a while, sleep, wake-up and fool around some more, lol. Most of the time they're pretty quiet at night, but every once in a while they decide to throw a party!
lol.png

I know this is an old thread but I bring my ducks into their quack crate at dusk (cause I lost one to a coon attack) into my basement. Once the 5 are tucked in they are quiet until daybreak. I have 3 hens and 2 drakes. ...all are different breeds. Just wanted to put it out there that my ducks sleep through the night....are out during the day..nap a little during the day but forage, swim and dig around and play.

Horses for courses.
Some of my girls sleep all night others get up and mooch around every now and then.

However since splitting my ducks up due to babies (mum dad and ducklings in old coop and new coop bought to move my Campbells and 1 call into) arriving; my Campbell called Creamy has started to hold her poop in all night (record is 11hours so far!).
I think she likes her new coop so much that she refuses to mess it up :)
My other Campbell called Bonkers doesn't mess it up either as she refused to stop sleeping with her chicken friends when the time came - so she's in the third coop still!

We have 2 Pekins and a mMllard. They nap through out the day, up for a while nap for a bit, then up having a party all over again. However at night, lights out, they go to sleep and sleep for the most part all night. As if scared of the dark.

My indoor duck doesn't sleep through the night. She sleeps for longer periods of time at night than she does during the day, but not the whole night through. I'll often wake up to the sound of her playing with her toys, foraging for imaginary bugs, or chirping at herself in the mirror, which is cute. Then sometimes she gets bored and decides she needs attention, so she'll start calling for me, waking me up out of a dead sleep with her screeches.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom