Do quail scratch and destroy backyards like chickens do?

June2012

Songster
5 Years
May 23, 2015
So, I've been starting to work on the run and housing for my future quail. I would like to raise them on grass, but I'm not sure if they would scratch up my yard like chickens would. A person I know has a dust bowl of a yard after raising chickens!!

What have your experiences with quail on grass have been like? Thanks!!

You can't free range quail like you do chickens. They'll fly away. If you want them on grass you can either build a big run or try putting them in a tractor. In a run they will still scratch up the grass but, depending on the number of quail versus space, they wouldn't do it that quickly. In a tractor you can move them around enough to prevent yard damage.

Tractors it is!!

You can't free range quail like you do chickens. They'll fly away. If you want them on grass you can either build a big run or try putting them in a tractor. In a run they will still scratch up the grass but, depending on the number of quail versus space, they wouldn't do it that quickly. In a tractor you can move them around enough to prevent yard damage.

If I put the quail in tractors, will they go into the tractor coops at night? I don't want them to get eaten, nor can I think of solutions to predator-proof the tractors while keeping the tractors mobile. I'm also worried about putting the quail to bed into the tractor coops myself because if I open the top they might just fly away. >.>

My quail sleep where they want, inside or outside. They won’t automatically go in the coop at night. Just make the whole tractor predator proof.

You could put a skirt of hardware cloth along the outside of the run. I’ve seen pictures of tractors with them. They just sit on top of the ground and still allow you to move the tractor. If they are wide enough it should prevent anything from digging in. If you’re still worried about something lifting it you could use large rocks or garden pavers to keep the hardware cloth down. Then just take them off when you move the tractor.

You could also put a layer of wire on the underside of the tractor. You could use a fencing wire with bigger holes in that case, unless you have rats or something else that could get through. That would keep diggers out but still allow the quail to be mostly on grass.

My quail sleep where they want, inside or outside. They won’t automatically go in the coop at night. Just make the whole tractor predator proof.

You could put a skirt of hardware cloth along the outside of the run. I’ve seen pictures of tractors with them. They just sit on top of the ground and still allow you to move the tractor. If they are wide enough it should prevent anything from digging in. If you’re still worried about something lifting it you could use large rocks or garden pavers to keep the hardware cloth down. Then just take them off when you move the tractor.

You could also put a layer of wire on the underside of the tractor. You could use a fencing wire with bigger holes in that case, unless you have rats or something else that could get through. That would keep diggers out but still allow the quail to be mostly on grass.

Genius! Do you think a 12 inch skirt of 1/4in hardware cloth good enough for a tractor? Rather than a wire floor, I'll probably just put something heavy on the wire skirts... Maybe some motion-sensing lights to deter predators more? Thank you so much!

A zinc roof (metal roofing) could act as your lid and shade (especially in white or non-painted varieties), with a slightly-raised off of the ground hardware wire floor to allow for spilled water, feed and feces to pass though, your need to enter their hutch would be minimal and they could easily remain in their tractor even while you move it to a new area of your yard. By raising the floor a bit, your birds couldn't strip your yard bare of foliage (and plant roots), instead they'd just give it a good mow.

I think 12 inches is good. There's also something called "predator eye" that you may want to look into.

I googled it and it looks really interesting! I'm not sure how it'll fare with my neighbors at night and if it truly is as effective as it says, but I'll definitely consider it. ^o^

A zinc roof (metal roofing) could act as your lid and shade (especially in white or non-painted varieties), with a slightly-raised off of the ground hardware wire floor to allow for spilled water, feed and feces to pass though, your need to enter their hutch would be minimal and they could easily remain in their tractor even while you move it to a new area of your yard. By raising the floor a bit, your birds couldn't strip your yard bare of foliage (and plant roots), instead they'd just give it a good mow.

I would like my quail to be on solid ground as long as they don't damage my yard, but that does sound like a good idea. :)

I really love the metal roof idea!!! Wouldn't it make the coop too hot in the summers, though?

How many quail do you have? We have 27 total & if we don't move the run/coop around every 3 days, the grass dies. In the Fall & Spring we have a little more wiggle room, in the Summer & Winter it's super hard on the grass. I think our set up is 12 feet long & 6 feet wide.
We got lazy during a really cold/snowy stretch & just threw pine chips down. Worked great as far as them not sitting in their poop but attracted mice (jerks tunneled in thanks to moles) & was harder on the grass.
On the flip side of that, the grass is crazy green where we were good about moving it like every other day.
Between moving them frequently & giving them sand to dust bathe in, ours don't scratch up the grass at all. But the poop can & will kill the grass if it's in the same place too long. Also, we have chickens too & I can promise - in general - quail don't scratch like chickens do. Our 11 chickens are waaaaaaaay more destructive than our 27 quail.

I can get more pictures now that there's not snow on the ground to show you the skirt Hubby made. For predator protection we:
-The entire thing (roof, sides, skirt) is hardwire cloth (1/4 inch) so that nothing can sneak through or get a hand through (in VA we literally have every predator: bears, hawks, snakes, you name it)
-Put side panels up so hungry critters can't see them
-Put hardwire cloth (1/4 inch) skirt all around it (2 feet wide) to prevent predators digging under the sides (neighbor's dogs & coyotes)
-The door has 3 locks (one at the top, one in the middle, & one at the bottom) because I read that racoons can open locks
-On the inside we have a radio going so that there's a noise deterrent to predators (the quail seem to like certain kinds of music too)
-We have motion lights on the outside

For quail comfort/safety we:
-1/2 the roof has solid roofing on so that they have shade in the Summer, 1/2 has a tarp in the Winter to keep the snow off of them
-We have netting up in case they spook, it slows them before they hit the roof (6 feet high roof, 4-5 foot high netting)
-4 different feeders to prevent fighting
-Heated waterer in the Winter
-Heating plate (the weird flat black thing) in the Winter
-2 dust baths
-Grit
-Oyster shell
-2 different coops & tons of guinea pig houses

Mind you, to move this thing, it's a huge process. & due to the net, you are bent at the waist for far longer than your back will care for. We have to take all of their stuff out of the run, take the skirts off the run, then catch the quail & lock them in the yellow coop, then put the wheels on the run, then move the run 5 feet, go inside the run & pick up the coop/move it to the far end, exit the run & continue moving it, go back in & put the coop exactly where we want it, then exit the run & take the wheels off, then check for daylight in places where the sides meet the ground because they can & will squeeze out, plug the gaps if there are any, then put their stuff back, then let them out while throwing mealworms everywhere, then put the skirt back on.

Overall (for us), it's worth it. It's a good workout for us & the quail are super happy. They do the butt wiggle hops & happy coo every time they get moved to new grass.

IMG_4455.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4459.JPG
IMG_4460.JPG

Back
Top Bottom