d'Uccle color genetics

OK so I think when you say if I've read them together I would get a mess I'm guessing you mean because the lavender gene also frills out details and makes them not very pretty am I right ? So nothing good would come from the breeding my porcelains with lavender?

What if I bred lavender to this guy ?

Attachments

• IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 24
The self blue is totally different then the porcelain.
Self blue is lavender on extended black.
Porcelain is lavender on MF. MF should be on Wheaton. But it has other genes in play to complete the pattern. The buff color, Columbian pattern, mottled, etc.
A lot of genes involved are recessive so they need a copy from both parents.they won't get copies from the self blues so they won't get the MF or porcelain pattern. They will get one copy so that's why I suspect leakage. Extended black covers a lot but a lot of times yes other colors or parts of patterns leak through. The chicks will be carrying recessive genes sight unseen so if you ever want them back to pure self blues it will be hard to breed out those recessive genes.
To get back to MC or porcelain you have to get all genes involves back to the offspring. When dealing with a more complex pattern like MF there a lot of genes that you have to get in a chick to be correct. That's what I mean by a mess.
Just a lot of genes to deal with with that cross.

OK so to get a porcelain you have to breed lavender with millfleure which will give you millfleure carrying the lavender Gene.. then you would have to breed more of the millfleures that carry the lavender gene to each other to get a porcelain ??

The best way would be porcelain to porcelain.
But you can breed porcelain to MF and those chicks will be MF carrying the lavender gene.
Breed them back to porcelain and you will get half porcelain and half MF carrying lavender.
Breed them together and you would get 25% porcelain 50% MF carrying lavender and 25% MF that do not carry lavender.
You won't be able to tell the MF carrying the lavender from the MF that don't carry it by sight.

Mottled and black are the same bird with the exception of mottled carrying two mottled genes.
Problem is they are worlds apart from mille fleur.
Black/mottled should be silver based. MF are gold based. MF should be partridge and B/M need to be extended black. MF also carry columbian genes as well.
You'll need to cross in the silver base and the extended black. At the same time breeding out the gold base, the partridge, the columbian genes and the mottled genes for the black.
It will take a ton of chicks and a few generations to get there.
With blacks and mottled already available imo it would be much wiser to secure them from somewhere then to try and make them.
Even if it takes a couple years to find them you'd still come out ahead time wise and a ton less work and throw away chicks.

Mottled and black are the same bird with the exception of mottled carrying two mottled genes.
Problem is they are worlds apart from mille fleur.
Black/mottled should be silver based. MF are gold based. MF should be partridge and B/M need to be extended black. MF also carry columbian genes as well.
You'll need to cross in the silver base and the extended black. At the same time breeding out the gold base, the partridge, the columbian genes and the mottled genes for the black.
It will take a ton of chicks and a few generations to get there.
With blacks and mottled already available imo it would be much wiser to secure them from somewhere then to try and make them.
Even if it takes a couple years to find them you'd still come out ahead time wise and a ton less work and throw away chicks.
Thank you I do believe I will just get them from somebody who already has them.

Unsure if this is the best pic, trying to understand if he is white mottled or buff. As he ages more and more gold color comes in and feathers are starting to look laced. My hen is a mille fleur but because of his white dominant gene he passed his looks onto their offspring. Though I have to add they are a lot more golden and not much white. Will try to include a pic of one of their offspring...

Attachments

• 38514650_2193090970969404_5578919010038185984_n.jpg
    38514650_2193090970969404_5578919010038185984_n.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Daisy.jpg
    Daisy.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 20
Hello! I am just starting out with D’Uccles and really need some help with genetics... I thought maybe I could “revive” this thread?? I currently have one porcelain roo am talking to a local breeder about getting a trio of Mille fleur. I am open to ANY new information!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom