Duckling still attached to egg!

duckyduck

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Hey everyone, the duck that has been hatching finally got out but he is still attached to his shell and it looks to be his umbilical cord holding him there. should i leave him in the moist bator or take him out and put him under the heat lamp? i'll post a picture.

Thanks ahead of time!

Leave him attached, he will wriggle himself free once hes ready.
lol.png

I hope so! Should i leave him with moisture or put him under a lamp to help sort of dry him out??

Not the heat lamp, or it will stick to him. Just the warm moist incubator. Wont take long until it comes off. It still has some yolk to absorb. Did you help it out? It just got out a little bit to yearly, but it will be alright.

i did help him out. He fell from a tree where his mother had a nest. He was having trouble breaking free so i opened the top for him. Then i let him to the rest on his own.(which he did)

he's in a moist environment now but i'm afraid he's trying to stand up now, and i don't want him to drag the egg and goo behind him for fear of it ripping free and bleeding. What should i do?

Thanks for the reply

91140_photo.jpg

another picture. What do you guys think?? he's laying on his back kicking with his feet a lot.

Do you have a photo of his face?

You said he fell from a tree so from looking at his feet my initial thought is he is a wood duck. I've never hatched any wood ducks but have had some young ones and they can stress very easily.

Back
Top Bottom