ducks eating straw!

688peterl

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
before i pulled a peice of straw from my ducks mouth thinking it was a tiny peice but it was nearly 15cm long it must have gone into his stomach, hes always doing it and when i catch it i take it off him, he wont hurt himself doing this will he?

if the straw isn't moldy or rotting, he should be fine. Ducks eat grass all the time. If you want to stop them from eating the straw, just provide them with something they like more - leafy vegetables like kale, collard greens, mustard greens, etc.

I was going to ask the same question. I've heard about impacted crop in ducks and that they shouldn't eat long pieces of grass or such. But every time I change the straw bedding for the ducks, they go crazy and eat a bunch of it! I don't think I could stop them, so I am hoping they will be ok.

Are they getting grit of some sort? Impaction is less likely when their little tummies have some grit to "chew" with.

If you can go to chopped straw or shavings that might help, I am not sure.

My ducks just started eating their straw (they're about 4 months). I put a layer of straw on the grate that I set their water on, it's welded wire so the straw helps to protect their feeties. This morning, the straw was half gone! Either they ate it, or they are hiding it!? I am a little uneasy about it today. But this thread has put my mind at ease a little. Thank you!

One girl is acting pretty sleepy right now and her esophagus looks pretty darn full... hopefully it's just the same as eating a big thanksgiving meal and she can sleep it off.

Instantly, when I happened upon the disappearing straw this morning, I grabbed a handful of grit and made them eat a healthy helping of it before they left the duck house. I'll have to think of another alternative to straw for protecting their feet (wood chips fall through the grate).

Last edited:
My ducks just started eating their straw (they're about 4 months). I put a layer of straw on the grate that I set their water on, it's welded wire so the straw helps to protect their feeties. This morning, the straw was half gone! Either they ate it, or they are hiding it!? I am a little uneasy about it today. But this thread has put my mind at ease a little. Thank you!

One girl is acting pretty sleepy right now and her esophagus looks pretty darn full... hopefully it's just the same as eating a big thanksgiving meal and she can sleep it off.

Instantly, when I happened upon the disappearing straw this morning, I grabbed a handful of grit and made them eat a healthy helping of it before they left the duck house. I'll have to think of another alternative to straw for protecting their feet (wood chips fall through the grate).
What about plastic poultry fence on top of the wire?

That's a great idea! I even have some at the moment. Plastic should be a lot gentler than the welded wire. Thanks for the idea, Amiga!

My little chocolate runner is still behaving very unusually. She stands, but keeps her head tucked back behind her wing most the time. She's been doing this for the past couple of hours. She won't stand up straight. She has not been active at all today, she doesn't look like she's taken a bath yet, and she's not dipping her head in the drinking bucket. I saw her take a very small drink though. She is preening, but not very much.

I haven't seen her eat yet today (or I just haven't noticed), but she does look full.

Normally she doesn't let me get very close to her, now she doesn't even seem to care until I reach out towards her. She's definitely sick, but it might be too early to tell exactly what is going on.

Last edited:
My chocolate runner seemed get over whatever was bringing her down that very same evening. She went from looking full to having a sunken chest like runners sometimes get, and was running around normally. So maybe she really was having a hard time passing some straw but was finally able to. Either that or some kind of duck bug. Poor girl. Gotta love ducks for their healing abilities.

Also, Amiga, I thought about your suggestion (plastic chicken mesh), and started thinking about those rabbit resting mats, and then came to a plastic sink liner thingy. Evolution in thought for the lazy woman ("hmm... what can I just buy and use as is?") :)

So this is what I got to set on top of the 1/4" welded wire grate so the ducks' feet don't come in contact with the wire and get cut up: http://www.walmart.com/ip/InterDesign-Contour-Sink-Mat/31955898

It's nice and thick and seems to be doing the trick. No trimming or modifying involved and it's meant to get wet so that's good. And it's rubbery plastic so that attribute plus the little round holes should provide enough grip so the ducks don't slide around on it. I would even recommend it as a resting mat for anyone that keeps their ducks on welded wire. Thanks for all the help :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom