Feeling Very Guilty...Need Advice

Pics
These dog threads just go way off the rails, adamant advice given without reading the whole thread and little real consideration for the OP.

Hello all. This is slightly embarrassing for me and a long read. We have a current flock of 11 chickens (Five 2.5-year old hens and six 12-week old chicks). I am the primary caretaker of all of them, and I am very, very attached to my chickens and they are attached to me. My husband jokes that he thinks I love the chickens more than I love him sometimes.

We’ve been debating rescuing a shelter dog for almost 5 years now and we finally adopted a 3-year old border collie/pit bull mix who comes from an abusive home. We have had him for about 5 days now. The dog pound didn’t know much about his background. He’s a surprisingly good dog despite his upbringing (friendly towards people, is semi-house trained) but as we’ve come to find out over the past few days, he has a very strong prey drive when it comes to any animal (rabbits especially). We’ve done a very controlled (fully leashed) distanced introduction with the dog/chickens and the dog has lunged and pulled to get closer.

We are keeping the chickens in their run/coop for the time being and I am feeling INCREDIBLY guilty about it. The chickens are used to free ranging during the evenings and have been vocally complaining, making crying sounds, moping around the pen/coop. I feel so horrible and have been trying to spend as much time in the pen as possible but it has been difficult with the new dog (husband works a lot and I’m the primary care taker of the dog while working from home FT). It is making me so emotional and sad and almost resentful towards the dog. Am I being crazy? Over analyzing every move the dog makes? I couldn’t live with myself if something happened to my chickens because of the dog. Just looking for some advice from others on this...:hmm
Hey There, as a flock owner with a high prey drive dog, I feel your pain. Bugsy was great with the chicks when they were in the brooder, but will occasionally run around my coop/run setup and scare the birds. He will still put his nose up to the hardware cloth and let them peck at it, so I am not too worried, but I definitely will not be able to free range with him around. That said, I also have darn near bullet proof control of him at all times. he is 10 and we have been training since I got him at 1. I also have hawks nesting on my property, so free ranging is not much of an option anyway. But, back to your issue. As someone who trained dogs for twelve years, I can tell you there is some hope, but management is your key. I would highly suggest you find a trainer in your area that works with behavioral issues. The first issue you will need to address is the separation anxiety. Because of his sketchy past, your dog lacks confidence which causes the separation anxiety in the first place. Think of him as a low ranking pack member that needs guidance 24/7. One quick way to work on separation anxiety is switching up your routine. Walk to the door of the yard, multiple times throughout the day, open it even, but don't go out. He will learn that you won't disappear every time you go that way. Again, this is where a professional trainer will come in handy. Look for someone who advocates positive reinforcement as well that states they are also skilled in behavioral modification. Once the separation anxiety is addressed, you will be able to acclimate him to the chickens. I believe a dog around is a great thing to keep predators at bay and with a little patience, management, and training, this dog with high prey drive can actually learn to protect your flock. Bugsy ran off a hawk just yesterday that was trying to figure out how to get into my run.

Hello all. This is slightly embarrassing for me and a long read. We have a current flock of 11 chickens (Five 2.5-year old hens and six 12-week old chicks). I am the primary caretaker of all of them, and I am very, very attached to my chickens and they are attached to me. My husband jokes that he thinks I love the chickens more than I love him sometimes.

We’ve been debating rescuing a shelter dog for almost 5 years now and we finally adopted a 3-year old border collie/pit bull mix who comes from an abusive home. We have had him for about 5 days now. The dog pound didn’t know much about his background. He’s a surprisingly good dog despite his upbringing (friendly towards people, is semi-house trained) but as we’ve come to find out over the past few days, he has a very strong prey drive when it comes to any animal (rabbits especially). We’ve done a very controlled (fully leashed) distanced introduction with the dog/chickens and the dog has lunged and pulled to get closer.

We are keeping the chickens in their run/coop for the time being and I am feeling INCREDIBLY guilty about it. The chickens are used to free ranging during the evenings and have been vocally complaining, making crying sounds, moping around the pen/coop. I feel so horrible and have been trying to spend as much time in the pen as possible but it has been difficult with the new dog (husband works a lot and I’m the primary care taker of the dog while working from home FT). It is making me so emotional and sad and almost resentful towards the dog. Am I being crazy? Over analyzing every move the dog makes? I couldn’t live with myself if something happened to my chickens because of the dog. Just looking for some advice from others on this...:hmm

I love my chickens too. I have a 15x15 pen for 22 chickens that I can close up and keep them in there. What I did for a long time is leave them in a pen with a few handfuls of scratch. As long as you have time, lock up the dog in the evening and let them out for a few hours before dark. So when it gets dark they will put themselves away and save you from catching them.

@VioletsMom73 has great advice. Transitions are hard, and rescues take work. Work with a pro. I read your original post, but haven't time to read the whole thread and at 20 pages, anything I say will get lost in the shuffle - but if you want to PM me, I also have spent years as a dog trainer, have worked with high-drive dogs and many rescues and if you like I'll help as much as I can.

Chickens and dogs can live together peacefully. Trying to keep them separated all the time will wear you out and is not healthy.

I would try keeping him on leash and take him with you while you watch the chickens free range. Let him see you interact with the chickens and give it time - lots of time. You will not be able to change his prey drive, but he will hopefully accept that the chickens are part of the family that he is suppose to protect. Dogs are suppose to hunt small animals it is in their instinct, but it is also in their instinct to protect their pack and family. Also if you are very nervous towards the dogs interactions with the chickens he will sense that and think there is something wrong with being around the chickens and won't accept them.

I have raised a few pitbulls, the last was a small female that was the chicken protector. She was better at it than any guardian dog I've ever seen. She would lay in the pasture with the sheep and chickens, if a hawk or eagle flew overhead she would bark along the fence line and chase it off. She never chased any of the chickens or sheep. But was know to kill a few rats and rabbits.

When I was a kid we had a huge german shepherd, dog he would free range our 20 acres with the chickens and horses, never bothered them. He also was a mighty hunter and would chase and kill moles, rabbits, rats and any other rodent, but never the chickens. He saw the chickens as part of his family that he was suppose to protect.

@VioletsMom73 has great advice. Transitions are hard, and rescues take work. Work with a pro. I read your original post, but haven't time to read the whole thread and at 20 pages, anything I say will get lost in the shuffle - but if you want to PM me, I also have spent years as a dog trainer, have worked with high-drive dogs and many rescues and if you like I'll help as much as I can.
Thank you @RiverOtter :)

Thanks for your reply. This is so difficult for me. I’m seriously considering taking the dog back, but would feel guilty about that too. Damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

Rescue dogs are touch and go in the easiest settings. Farm animals around herding/hunting dogs is especially trying.
I have 2 suggestions - maybe one will work for you.

1. Return the dog sooner rather than later. The older a dog gets, the more difficult to place. Your experience will help the shelter make a better placement. No cats or small animals. Consider that you are fostering the dog to help him find his forever home.

2. Build a large outdoor kennel, or go to Tractor Supply and purchase a 10x10' kennel. He can see you (less anxiety) and your flock is protected. You can add balls and toys and chew toys to keep him busy.
Purchase several bags of concrete mix, dig a 6-8" trench around the perimeter of the pen. Pour the dry concrete into the trench and fill with water.
Let it dry for at least 2 or 3 days. This will prevent digging out.
You could also mix the concrete in wheelbarrow, but since I do most to the kennel building myself...the dry in trench method works for me.

I have Aussies, Rat Terriers and a Pit Lab cross. Also, barn cats, goats and chickens.
Only one casualty and it was when the chicken stuck her head through the 2x4" fence panel.
Chicken wire has been added.

I have two rescued beagles I was in the same boat when I first got them now my beagles gather the chickens when we need to leave they get them into the coop just keep exposing the dog to the chickens controlled of course a little closer every time then when you get to the run go to the run a few days then controlled with them out for a week or so and let the dog smell them and eventually the dog will get used to them

Thank you. We are going to work with a trainer as soon as he gets the all clear from the vet in mid-July (earliest I could get an appt. due to COVID). I’ve started trying to crate train him and am working on “stay” and “sit” right now. He has an extremely short attention span, so I’m only doing three, 2-ish minute sessions every day. Better than doing nothing!

Back
Top Bottom