I'd say just getting a huge one ton tote of feed might be worth it for you. Ours got delivered straight to the garage.
The thing is to not have it get old and use it up within at least six months from manufacture date (and many people here, myself included say three months, esp in warm weather). You could freeze it in small bags which would help it last. You also have to be able to securely store that much, keeping it dry and unavailable to rodents. I’ve bought chopped hemp from New Country Organics, very good. $$$ with shipping however.

I just want to see the ingredients, they are all pretty much the same around here, but it’s the gritty stuff I am finding I the stuff I have right now. The Peavey Mart brand contains Limestone added to it.

Not sure if that’s for grit, or calcium… ?
Its "calcium" but it doesn't process into eggshell as well as oyster shell flakes do. Many of the "oystershell" are actually Limestone pellets. At the molecular level, the calcium is bonded with different things. I don't remember exactly what, but my actual shell source disappeared. The Limestone (sold as oystershell) wasn't fixing the fragile shell issues. When I can get actually oyster shell, it does. Meanwhile, I'm getting eggshells from all and sundry which is fixing the issue too.

Its "calcium" but it doesn't process into eggshell as well as oyster shell flakes do. Many of the "oystershell" are actually Limestone pellets. At the molecular level, the calcium is bonded with different things. I don't remember exactly what, but my actual shell source disappeared. The Limestone (sold as oystershell) wasn't fixing the fragile shell issues. When I can get actually oyster shell, it does. Meanwhile, I'm getting eggshells from all and sundry which is fixing the issue too.
Scratch n Peck oyster shell ($$$) is in flakes and appears to be actual oyster shell. Manna Pro ($) appears much whiter and looks like chicken grit or tiny gravel. Now I’m having doubts about it!

i just got a medal....byc friend? How did that happen?

Cardhu stretched her wings at just the right time....
20230930_070931.jpg
Hummingchicken....

Last edited:
Scratch n Peck oyster shell ($$$) is in flakes and appears to be actual oyster shell. Manna Pro ($) appears much whiter and looks like chicken grit or tiny gravel. Now I’m having doubts about it!
My birds won't eat the limestone "oyster pellets" unless they have no other choice. Twirp has the toughest time with fragile shells and the stuff does nothing for her. If she has access to oyster flakes or crushed egg shell, she lays eggs with mostly decent shells. The rest don't like the pebbles either.

My birds won't eat the limestone "oyster pellets" unless they have no other choice. Twirp has the toughest time with fragile shells and the stuff does nothing for her. If she has access to oyster flakes or crushed egg shell, she lays eggs with mostly decent shells. The rest don't like the pebbles either.
Mine don't like those pebbles either - and at TSC they come in such a big bag it will be a lifetime supply (mine, not theirs!).
What I have found is they will eat more of them if I scatter them on the ground. But eggshells are definitely the calcium source of choice.

Back
Top Bottom