2 barred rocks, 2 Rhode Island reds (most adventurous/inquisitive of the group) and an australorp.
You may regret the RIRs. They are sweet to people, but don't always 'get along well with others;. My experience (granted, it was just a couple, so :idunno ) was that they were very bossy to the others - quite a difference from my BR girls who are pretty even keeled. (Think more like Aurora's personality) That said - only 2 in a flock your size, there is far too many 'others' for them to reek too much havoc (except at roosting time - which we shouldn't, as mere mortals, watch anyways!

Hi everyone. It's been a rough month with too much work and illness. Am at the tail end of an unknown virus currently. Tested negative for cold and flu. Fortunately we are having a beautiful week so the chooks and pups have been getting more outside time.
How is your friend (?Mike?) doing?

I hope you can take a bit of time off to help you recoop! :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

You may regret the RIRs. They are sweet to people, but don't always 'get along well with others;. My experience (granted, it was just a couple, so :idunno ) was that they were very bossy to the others - quite a difference from my BR girls who are pretty even keeled. (Think more like Aurora's personality) That said - only 2 in a flock your size, there is far too many 'others' for them to reek too much havoc (except at roosting time - which we shouldn't, as mere mortals, watch anyways!
My first roo, an RIR, was a very aggressive rooster... He attacked a lot...until he went to the freezer.

My beloved Maggie was a RIR. I miss her lots.
IMG_8031.jpeg

As babies/pullets, they're going to take a beating from the older ladies...once they start laying, things may change. They're likely to end up as queen eventually. However, PITA, Lark, Indigo, Twirp, Nellie, and Storm (who seems to be queen) will all roundly thump them until they do lay. After that...🤷‍♀️

Well, I’ve been following along ok, mostly keeping up here so far, but haven’t been chatting too much as not much has been happening here on North Beach Farms. Unfortunately that has recently changed. Last weekend a Raccon incursion happened in the pre-existing coop and one of the three hens that was here before we move in was taken off the roost. I’ve started closing the surviving two hens in and letting them out in the mornings as well. I also found out their names “Margaret” and “Maple” from their first owner, who has two kids that are absolutely in love with Mr. Jimmy (my largest goat). I thought I had it handled, but then Wednesday, we had a heavy rain while I was doing a 9 hr with no breaks day working at the abattoir with DH. My now top Rooster got soaked through as usual, and I didn’t think anything of it, he will dry off in the cooler overnight no problems. He was however too wet to fly up to the door, and coloured to blend in when I was closing them in for the night. I believe it was early morning when the raccoon returned. I feel awful for failing him, but Pretty Boy is no longer with us.
891DA267-32A5-4E71-B1D7-C0BB385D4801.jpeg
1260D527-52EA-4C30-B680-25BA128E12D1.jpeg
C1ECF778-8F63-4B56-A667-1066AC6F1AF4.jpeg

These are our most recent pictures of him. I have also now had three separate dog incursions into the field from our neighbours Shepard/husky type dog, and today Arduinna almost got him. He’s a good digger, but not particularly smart. This time at least DH was home so I had help herding my goats into the garden before attempting to catch the dog, and I was also armed with the neighbours cell number and she came and helped collect him. Everyone was a little traumatized, but no one was injured, he’s good with their chickens and goats… it’s just mine are a little more “assertive” to put it mildly. We also have the obligatory not fluffy butt spring moulting happening here, and I’ve updated my egg labels.
7E6FBC66-AC80-42EC-B9A6-5B38A02C1B73.jpeg
D37EE080-6316-4F74-B725-81B84ADD6943.jpeg

Attachments

• F3803FEC-F254-4C72-919D-4157EDCA1F38.jpeg
    F3803FEC-F254-4C72-919D-4157EDCA1F38.jpeg
    800.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom