Frostbite help on adopted duck and wee rant

northernlivie

Songster
8 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi friends!
Well I have adopted again. My last adoption (thought to be a female muscovy) was a male muscovy. Penelope. Haha! So now that the winter is over and he is out and about, I took the advice from here. I adopted a female for him today. So he would not be lonely. (I have welshes and a rouen as well but they are on their big pond now).

Please meet Tiffany-Crystal. After picking her up I realized she is very worse for wear!

Poor condition from being kept without bathing water and what I consider to be with too many birds including chickens. She smells quite strongly of a very dirty chicken coop I am sad to report and her feet are in horrid condition. She is timid but curious though so I count this as a good sign. She drank and ate readily as soon as I placed her in the run. I know her feathers will improve with bathing and my main concern is her feet.

I am extremely sad to look at her feet. I don't understand why these folks around my area won't keep their muscovies with heat over winter in -40. When I picked her up at the farm I noticed another duck in the pen was missing its foot completely as well as half its other foot from frostbite!! In fact, all the muscovies had frostbite damaged feet! I am devastated about them being kept that way.

Tiffany-Crystal is safely tucked into my duck shed tonight and I want to start treatment to help her feet. She appears to walk gingerly. She appears to have frostbite on the bottoms of her feet as well as on the webs and is missing a toenail. What are treatment options for post frostbite? I also noticed a spot I suspect is bumblefoot. Poor girl!!

Thoughts? Opinions? Treatments?

Side note... do I report the farm re: not keeping adequate shelter? Can I do that? Should I do that? Or just count TC's blessings she is with me now? And let the healing begin? I know some folks mean well and everyone has different ideas of what care a duck may need but this sweet girl is 1 year old. This was her first winter. I am sure she would have lost a foot over this next winter if I hadn't picked her up today.

I will post full pictures of her feet tomorrow as she is resting tonight from the ordeal of being caught and moved to her new home.

I truly appreciate any suggestions for this sweet girl's feet as I want her to have the best life here with my family. Please send well wishes, blessings and duckie quacks her way. She needs them.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190424_183938.jpg
    20190424_183938.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190424_183940.jpg
    20190424_183940.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 14
I'm confused why someone would keep a tropical bird from central and south america in unheated outbuildings in the frigid north of Alberta Canada! :mad:

There is a duck thread on youtube called 100 ducks in a tub or something like that. He loves his ducks, so I'll give him that, but he talks about his Muscovy's getting frost bite and loosing toes an such!!! :he

Drives me nuts, just don't understand the logic of it. I can't watch his channel anymore for that and several other reasons...:barnie

Oh dear! I wouldn't be able to watch that either.

I am just as flabbergasted as to why someone would keep them in unheated conditions as well. I think education about them is needed that is for sure!

I was so upset yesterday to see it.

I am just glad that TC is safe now and will live a wonderful life here with Penelope and heat!

Maybe go and bring home at least 2 more so your Scovy drake doesn't over mate TC?take your phone and get pics or video of their living conditions, and yes I would report them. That is def animal cruelty. TC is beautiful I am hoping someone from Emergencies forum will see my tag That helped some other members over winter with frost bite on their chickens.
@Wyorp Rock and I believe @Eggcessive

I can't offer any suggestions on treatment, but I have to tell you how wonderful it is that Tiffany-Crystal is going to get the life she deserves because of you! I don't understand how people can cause or watch animals suffer and not take action.

Good luck with her treatment, and best wishes for her now-great life! Count me among those sending blessings.

Thank you everyone! I will begin the epsom salt treatment and pick up some iodine today.

I have not been able to stop thinking about her sisters that are up for sale. I think I will be driving today....
Side note, Penelope the drake is not interested in TC! Hoping for a love connection soon.

Thank you again for all the well wishes and blessings being sent her way!

Back
Top Bottom