Giving the quail "treats"

I would go easy on the cheese as it can be hard to break down in the system if it is of a gooey consistancy. Good quail treats are greens of all kinds, chopped up veggies of all kinds, quartered apples, peaches, berries...my quail go nuts for snap peas in the pod. Corn on the cob is good for them, seeds, mealworms, sprouts, even grass.

I decided to try giving them fruit for the first time today, they are 3 mth. old Bobwhites. I gave them apricot chopped up. The picked at it a little bit, but didn't seem to like it much. I gave them egg yolk, which I usually give them the whites too...but the don't eat all the whites, so I decided to give them just yolk...well, they didn't eat very much of the yolk either, which they usually eat it up...maybe they just weren't hungry.

A Bobwhite Quail farmer in Petaluma told me to use Apple Cider Vinegar. She said it prevents pasty butt, but what I found online is that it reduces odor. All I know is that so far my four 3 month old chicks don't smell at all.

Sounds good to me! Do you just have a second waterer of it in full strength, or do you just have it diluted into their regular water?

Sounds good to me! Do you just have a second waterer of it in full strength, or do you just have it diluted into their regular water?
She told me she uses two tablespoons per quart of water...I found that to be a bit strong, so I have a rabbit waterer that is about one quart, so I put one tablespoon and the birds don't smell at all. I originally was using pine shavings, but they made such a mess with it, so now I use pellets now (Eagle Valley ABM) and it is much less mess. I still give them pine shavings under their shelf where they like to take naps. I have them in my dining room right next to my kitchen, so I would notice if they smelled bad. I have heard that coturnix smell worse than Bobwhites, but I don't know if that is true.

The proper strength of Apple Cider Vinegar is 1 to 2 Tablespoons per 1 gallon of water for maintenance. For treating sick birds, use 3 Tablespoons of ACV per one gallon of water.

The proper strength of Apple Cider Vinegar is 1 to 2 Tablespoons per 1 gallon of water for maintenance. For treating sick birds, use 3 Tablespoons of ACV per one gallon of water.

Thanks, I thought two per quart was too strong. I have been using one per quart

ACV is an overall health tonic for the birds. It keeps the crop at a lower ph value so it does not sour, has antibacterial/antifungal properties, helps with nausea, aids in digestion, increases the appetite, contains amino acids and many minerals, etc...Over all it is good for all poultry as well as humans. I use it once a week on all my poultry and it seems to really get their plumage shining, even when they need a good molt, they will still look good.

No, never use metal waterers with ACV, it will corrode the metal and leach zinc into the water. Always use plastic only.

Back
Top Bottom