Goats 4 foot fence high enough?

foamspoon

Songster
12 Years
Apr 17, 2007
I did a search and on the threads but I wanted to start my own thread just to be sure, so forgive me in asking a question that has been asked before.

I have a 4 foot plus fence around the pen. On two sides I have a cross piece of wood to make it look better to the street. They can stand on the cross piece and stick their head over the top.

I just got the goats and do not want to have to chase them because they jumped over.

Again forgive my newbie fears.

Bryan

Goats are very good at jumping. 4 ft may not be enough. But, also, they may never be interested in getting out. Just depends on what is on the other side. What kind of goats are they?

As ibpboo says, they can jump, and they can climb.

Depends on the size of the goats, the breed of the goat, the size of the pen, how happy they are inside the pen, how bored they get, what's outside the fence that looks really yummy, and their temperment. Some goats are incredibly curious, some are homebodies.

Not much help is it? I think it could be fine, but if you want to be sure, upgrade it.

There's a goat farm nearby (Boers) that has incredibly inadequate looking fences, but they never seem to care to get out… VERY nice pastures but skimpy fences IMO... the lady there told me the ‘lead’ nanny kept them calm and happy. (the overall property has a GREAT fence, but it's subdivided by wimpy fence, very different situation I'd guess)

I have a dwarf nigerian that climbs a 5 ft fence when she wants to.

You need to run 3 strands of electric wire if you want goats kept inside your fenced area.

They can tear down a fence easily and run off before you know it.

I have Nigerians. Most of my fencing is 4' dog wire. We keep it a little flimsy at the top to avoid climbing. Usually the way they get out is by going under or ramming the gates until they open (however, this usually occurs between pens, not on the exterior fence, because they're wanting to fight or breed).

My previous sr buck, Henry, could clear a 5' fence from a standstill. He was a jumping bean. Most of my goats are happy inside the fence...thanks to our Aussie dog
tongue.png
when they get out they wish they hadn't.

I have 4ft fencing around part of the horse/goat enclosure and 5 fot on the other side.

My big fat goat USED to be able to jump over, but now he's either too dang fat or not motivated enough. I have a Boer wether.

Miss Prissy,

What kind of fencing do you have?

From the reading I've been doing I'm thinking we will either do stock panels with electric or chain link. This will be for NDG does.

We have mostly boer goats with one Saanen (dairy). The dairy is the most elusive. We have 4 ft fencing- 3 foot of field fencing with the top being barbed wire. We have had noone escape unless we left the gate unlatched.
wink.png

My two goats are pygmys. Are they better jumps than others?? Or less??

OK how do I keep them from getting bored????

Thanks,

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom