Goose not herself after egg bound

Klala

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Apologies for this being long but I feel that the more I share right away the better and hopefully someone will have went through something similar. A week ago my goose was egg bound I brought her inside to observe and proceeded to Google what to do. Now the icky details that I observed are as follows and I apologize for the description but.. 🤷
She was pooing but it was a dark color not liquid like but not normal then she was straining trying to poo and it could be compared to a baseball trying to come out a golf ball. It was greenish and not liquid not hard either. I was able to assist removing some when she tried to go again and
that did help. I felt around and was able to feel an egg and it felt sideways I carefully adjusted it some so it wasn't in the position it was and let her be for a bit giving her time. She settled in eating some and drinking, making her classic mess with the dog water, she introduced herself to my 2 house ducks and gave the cats a run for their money. Pooing a little more here and there. I'm not saying she was feeling really good but she wasn't lethargic either. I checked her again and gently pushed the egg more into a better position. When I came back later she laid the egg and wasn't showing any distress only seemed off, just tired, how we feel after a busy day and we finally get to sit. I kept her inside and she laid another egg later. So after that I decided to put her back with the ducks and Henrietta. Over the days she seemed to be doing ok she moved about ate and drank I thought she was ok.. today when I checked on her she still just isn't herself she ate and drank but she is still off. I noticed too that her legs are not the healthy orange but grayish. I know that this is serious by that and I really don't want to loose her. I appreciate everyone's knowledge and wisdom I honestly don't know where I'd turn if it wasn't for everyone here. Thank you all!! Also I don't have access to a knowledgeable vet and limited funds also any meds vitamins suggested please if possible include a snapshot because I can then forward that to my other half if needed or send to the family/friend care team to check their cupboards

Were the two eggs laid within the same 24 hour period? Were the shells normal and sturdy? Does she continue to have the same greenish runny poop since the eggs came out?

How is her appetite? Eating normally, or just eating barely?

Two things you can do right now that might help revive her. Give her sugar water to drink for today. And give her a calcium tablet, preferably this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
The sugar will raise her blood glucose and the calcium to blood calcium which may be depleted from the two eggs. This can affect her heart .

Were the two eggs laid within the same 24 hour period? Were the shells normal and sturdy? Does she continue to have the same greenish runny poop since the eggs came out?

Two things you can do right now that might help revive her. Give her sugar water to drink for today. And give her a calcium tablet, preferably this. View attachment 3388986The sugar will raise her blood glucose and the calcium to blood calcium which may be depleted from the two eggs. This can affect her heart .
Yes eggs were laid within 24 and normal shells her poo is normal ish not black or tar like. She's eating ok and drinking I have been busy today and am going to get her from the coop now to bring inside. Thank you Soo much for your help I appreciate it! The picture is very helpful too! I get overwhelmed when trying to find a recommendation because there's always the nagging what if this isn't right..

Two things you can do right now that might help revive her. Give her sugar water to drink for today. And give her a calcium tablet, preferably this. View attachment 3388986The sugar will raise her blood glucose and the calcium to blood calcium which may be depleted from the two eggs. This can affect her heart .
She passed away 😭😭😭

Oh, no. I was just writing a treatment protocol for her.

This is tragic. What may have caused her death was the two eggs in the single cycle drawing down her blood calcium to make shells for both eggs, and there was not enough left of the blood calcium to service her heart.

If you ever have another laying bird, duck, chicken or goose that is struggling to lay an egg, pop one of those calcium tablets into them immediately. It not only helps with contractions to get the egg(s) out, but it can prevent a heart attack from low blood calcium.
I'm so, so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom