GUARD DOGS

bayourouge

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
central Louisiana
what do you have guarding your flock? let's see pics. my rat terrier(3/4 rat terrier and 1/4 chihuaha) may not look like much but he turns into a monster when he see coons, possums, etc. even near our yard. he will attack them and has actually killed his own possum, but wont bother the chickens at all.

Bingo
100_1587.jpg

Last edited:
I have a cattle dog named Bandit....as seen in the pic on the left. He's my herding dog and my husbands bird dog. Very smart boy! I may be able to post a better pic later on tonight if the weather cooperates.

Hey,

Such a big man you have protecting you chickens
smile.png

I have an Australian Shepherd [Sabrina] and a Pom mix [Amber] that love running off rats and racoons and even crows that want harass the ladies (why?). Course Amber would also love to get them to play with her, but the hens just ignore her mostly.

I have a mixed breed ...Catahoula Leopard Cur / Heeler (Joe) and a Chihuahua (Belle) who is much tougher than Joe.

Joe
Joe.jpg

Belle
DSCF0030.jpg

Jack (lays around and watches them)
DSCF0004-4.jpg

Belle is a funny little dog.

Joe is smart as a whip and apparently the only breed of dog developed in the US is the Catahoula Cur. They come from Louisiana.

Jack is a beautiful cat and he knows which birds are fair game and which are my birds. Though if I catch him with something alive he knows I will take it so far this year ( baby Robin, baby starling, and a chipmunk)

I have two Lousiana Catahoulas, Blue (2yr old male) and Daisy (13 month old female). Neither one was raised around chickens, so it's been an uphill battle to get them used to them. For the most part, they leave the coup alone. Occasionally, they will get excited by something the girls are doing and will run around the coup. My white Amerucana, Shelby, seems to have no fear of them and will stare down my 65 lb. male. Too funny. But, if anything comes in the yard (squirrel, rat snakes, racoon), they are in big trouble!!!

Yes, cheepchicks, Catahoulas are the only dog breed that originated in the US. They are decended from the dogs that the French, Spanish and Native Americans had, crossed with the indigenous red wolves of that area. They are the only dogs I'm not allergic to, but they take a lot of space, patience and activity. We hope to have puppies in December, if anyone might be interested.

1357e640.jpg

Thanks to all about my Cat Jack. I have others but they stay inside Jack is not happy inside.

As to Joe...he is the best dog I have ever had...he helps us round up the chicks if they get out and never hurts them. Must be the heeler in him? I would love to have a pure Catahoula. Space wise we have 5 acres and he runs like mad when he is outside. It puts me in mind of a house cat with the cat crazies. They are an awesome breed...keep me posted about the puppies.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom